Rutgers grabs road win, rebound from first loss

At halftime, the No. 18 Rutgers women’s basketball team found itself in a familiar position. 

The Scarlet Knights were dominating. Despite being on the road in SEC country at a top-25 team in No. 25 Arkansas, Rutgers found itself up 12 points — the very same lead it held late in the second half of last Thursday’s double-overtime loss to No. 6 North Carolina.

But this time, head coach C. Vivian Stringer’s squad kept its foot down on the gas.

Backed by a stingy defensive outing and a balanced scoring distribution, the Knights steadily cruised to a 64-52 win Sunday over the Razorbacks.

Rutgers (7-1) rebounded from the heartache and disappointment of its first loss of the season by trampling all over Arkansas (6-2).

After surrendering 96 points to North Carolina, the Knights got back to basics with the same brand of defense that has been a catalyst for them in their early season. Stifling defense limited the Razorbacks to shoot a lowly 28 percent from the field.

Unlike past games where Rutgers forced opponents to play at its speed by forcing mistakes and cashing in on the other end in its transition game, Arkansas didn’t merit the same conditions.

Shooting 44 percent from the floor, four Knights hit double-figures in scoring. Junior wing Kahleah Copper led the team with 17 points, while junior guard Briyona Canty served as the main facilitator on the court, dishing out eight of the team’s 17 assists.

While it wasn’t nearly as electric as her past performances, sophomore guard Tyler Scaife still managed to have a solid outing. The Little Rock native dropped 13 points in her Arkansas homecoming.

Meanwhile, Betnijah Laney continued to do it all for the Knights. The senior wing tallied her eighth-straight double-double with 12 points and 12 rebounds — she has yet to go a game without one.

For updates on the Rutgers women’s basketball team, follow @GarrettStepien and @TargumSports on Twitter.

Garrett Stepien