July 22, 2018 | ° F

Rutgers matches head coach's expectations

The Rutgers women’s golf team’s fall campaign was nothing short of first-year head coach Kari Williams’ expectations. 

The Scarlet Knights resume stood out with three second-place finishes, impressive statistics and added confidence entering the spring season. 

Rutgers’ underclassmen play set the tone early. At the Bucknell Invitational from Sept. 6-7, freshman Emily Mills paced a consistent Rutgers attack that culminated in an impressive second-place finish at the 14-team event. 

Mills became the second Rutgers rookie in program history to win her initial event, as she finished first in the 80-player field with a 220 final scorecard. 

The presence of the Knights’ underclassmen’s dominance persisted from Sept. 26-28 at the Yale Intercollegiate. 

Sophomore Taylor Clark paced Rutgers throughout to tie for sixth individually (224) and power her team to a seventh-place finish, boasting a 920 final scorecard in the 17-team field. 

At the St. John’s Invitational on Oct. 6-7, Rutgers’ upperclassmen showed up. Their strong play, leadership and tenacity helped them to lead Rutgers to another second-place finish in the final round.

Anchoring the Knights were juniors Gabrielle Sacheli and Racquel Zurick, who finished sixth (155) and tied for ninth (157), respectively. Clark added an extra boost, finishing in eighth place (156) in the 68-player field. 

A comfortable Knights squad entered the final round of the 17-team Rutgers Invitational on Oct. 11 with a commanding six-stroke lead. But the balanced attack of Sacheli (147) and Clark (152), who finished third and sixth, respectively, could not support a cushioning lead in the final round. 

Rutgers fell to Long Island by one stroke in Williams’ inaugural Rutgers Invitational as head coach. 

The Knights concluded their season with a disappointing performance at the Fighting Camel Classic, placing sixth in the nine-team event. 

Mills continued her impressive freshman campaign, pacing Rutgers throughout the season and tying for 13th (229) in the 51-player event, while Clark finished strong, tying for 32nd (239). 

The Knights had a successful season, owing much of their success to superb underclassmen talent and prominent upperclassmen leadership.

Alex Nazzaro