Knights host home quad meet at Livingston Gym

pg_14_gymnastics_emma_hoffmanedwin

Senior Captain Emma Hoffman has set the tone for her teammates this season setting personal bests in the vault with a 9.900 and a 9.800 on the floor. 

After picking up two victories against Southern Connecticut State and Brockport last weekend, the Rutgers gymnastics team looks to continue its winning roll into Saturday’s Blackout meet.

The Scarlet Knights host No. 21 Michigan State, Brown and Wisconsin-Oskosh 4 p.m. at the Livingston Gym.

Rutgers (3-4, 0-3 Big Ten) posted a season high 195.375 last weekend, good for the sixth-highest team score in program history. Sophomore Claire Jones posted an impressive score of 9.800 in her season debut on the floor exercise.

“Everything just went my way and it was perfect timing,” Jones said. “It was a good confidence boost for the next week to come. … Hopefully I can do it again.”

Senior captain Emma Hoffman’s performances have merited successful placements in meets, setting multiple career-bests in the 9.900 on vault and a 9.800 on the floor exercise.

“I feel like it’s just all of my hard work coming together,” Hoffman said. “I’ve been doing it in the gym and now it finally happened in competition, so it’s good to see that paying off.”

The Knights will be facing yet another ranked opponent in Spartans this weekend. MSU (2-2, 1-1) earned a season-high score 195.750, but fell to Big Ten foe Minnesota on the road.

The Spartans had six gymnasts record career-highs on the vault and were led by Nicola Deans’ 9.900 in the event. MSU tied a season-best 48.850 on beam and Elena Lagoski posted a 9.900 in the floor exercise. 

Gunning for the program’s 500th victory, extra motivation fuels the Spartans.

Brown (5-1) was victorious in their home opener last weekend, scoring 192.375. The reigning ECAC Champions placed first in the quad meet with Bridgeport, Rhode Island College and the University of Rhode Island.

Caroline Morant posted a 9.800 on the beam and a 9.700 on the vault to help the Bears earn the victory. Morant earned the ECAC honors following the win.

Wisconsin-Oskosh fell to Wisconsin-La Crosse 185.675-179.750 in their previous meet despite a solid effort from Krystal Walker. Walker won the all-around competition with 36.375 points. 

As the lone Division III program, Wisconsin-Oskosh (2-1) faces a tall task against the opposing Division I schools.

Regardless of the competition, the Knights look to notch their first Big Ten win.

“It doesn’t matter who we go up against …we’ve got to go out there and do our jobs,” Levine said.

For updates on the Rutgers gymnastics team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Evan Bruno