Death of Rutgers Business School student marks seventh student death in four months

Maneesha Singh, a Rutgers Business School student, died on Dec. 30. – Photo by null

Rutgers Business School student Maneesha Singh died on Dec. 30, according to a mass email statement sent to Rutgers students by Richard L. Edwards, chancellor of Rutgers-New Brunswick, the morning of Jan. 6.

Her cause of death was not stated in the email. The passing of Singh marks the seventh death faced by the Rutgers community between the months of September and December. Students Caitlyn Kovacs, Darsh Patel, Paul Kim, Neha Musipatla, Michael Murray and Billy Roy Ouch passed away earlier in the semester. 

According to the email statement, the New Brunswick resident was in the process of completing her accounting degree after transferring from Santa Rosa Junior College in Santa Rosa, California in 2011.

Edwards extended condolences from the Rutgers community to Singh’s family and friends.

“Our community is saddened by Maneesha’s passing, and we offer our thoughts and prayers to her family and friends,” he said.

In the email, Edwards extended an invitation from Singh’s family to the Rutgers community to attend her wake.

Singh’s wake will be held on Wednesday, Jan. 7 between 6 p.m. and 8 p.m. at Gowen Funeral Home, located at 239 Livingston Avenue in New Brunswick.

Counseling for members of the University community grieving Singh’s death as well as general counseling is available at Counseling, Alcohol and Other Drug Assistance Program and Psychiatric Services, located at 17 Senior Street in New Brunswick.

Students living in on-campus facilities are also encouraged to communicate with their Residence Life staff to cope with the loss. Off-campus or commuter students can speak with their Dean of Students.

Tim Grimm, located at Bishop House, 115 College Avenue, is the College Avenue campus Dean of Students. Michelle Jefferson, located at 305 College Hall, is the Cook and Douglass campuses' Dean of Students.

Jeffrey Broggi, located at Lucy Stone Hall A239, is the Livingston campus Dean of Students. Sandra Castro, located at the Busch Campus Center, is the Busch campus Dean of Students.