DIY Nails for Valentine's Day

wrap_diy_nailsnaaz

This Valentine's Day, channel the holiday spirit and wear your heart on your nails instead of your sleeve. Fabulous nails are in style all year 'round, so don’t settle for your average French manicure. This cute nail idea will put you in the mood to impress that special someone, while trying something a little different! We’ve fallen head over heels for this simple, trendy, easy design for DIY "Heart Monitor" nails.

You’ll need: 

• Red nail polish
  • White nail polish (or a nail art pen!)
  • Thin brush, toothpick, or precision tool (for designs)
  • Clear top coat
  • Cotton balls/q-tips 
  • Nail polish remover
  • Reference picture of a heart monitor

Step 1: Make sure your nails are clean and dry. Try to push back your cuticles and file your nails to remove any sharp edges. When they're ready, paint your nails with two coats of red nail color. This style will work with any shade of red –– whether you prefer a deep, autumnal color or a bright, attention-grabbing one. Let dry for 5 minutes.

Step 2: In this step, we will create the “heartbeat” of the design. This design involves detailed lines, so find a friend with a steady hand and make use of your precision tool or nail pen. Looking at a picture of a heart monitor, there is a distinctive zig-zag pattern that represents each heartbeat. On each nail except the thumb, recreate that zig-zag pattern. Start off with a straight line, carefully outline a small zig-zag, connect it to a larger zig-zag, draw another small zig-zag and end with a straight line. One nail should look like one “heartbeat.” Try to keep all the designs even, so the heart monitor will look connected when you put your nails together. Draw one line at a time, slowly, to prevent shaky lines. Skip one nail for the accent –– most commonly the middle or the ring finger. For the accent, draw a medium-sized heart in the middle of your nail, and fill it in completely. Let your designs dry.

Step 3: After your designs are completely dry, finish with top coat to preserve the design and give your nails a nice shine. Let dry. Feel free to personalize your nail designs and express yourself with glitter, alter the colors, or even add x’s and o’s. Now, Instagram and tweet your DIY design with the hashtag #RULOVING and tag @DailyTargum.

Natalie Lin