Week In Review: Laurels and Darts

laurels_and_darts

Privilege Party

A part-time lecturer in the Department of Sociology held "The Privilege Walk" workshop for the first time with students from his “Race Relations" class. The workshop was designed to raise awareness and help students see not everyone begins at with equal opportunities. This laurel goes out to everyone who realizes their privilege, and uses it to better the community at large.

Mediocre Millennials

Results of the latest Programme for the International Assessment of Adult Competencies test (PIAAC) spelled out bad news for American millennials. The results ranked U.S. citizens ages 16-35 as 16th in literacy and last in numeracy and “problem solving in technology-rich environments.” This dart is for all the millennials out there that would rather watch Netflix and eat chicken nuggets. A little homework never hurt anybody.

Pummeling Parkinson’s

The Mason Gross School of the Arts (MGSA) is partnering with Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital (RWJUH) to provide free movement classes for people battling Parkinson’s disease. Individuals with this disease have difficulties staying mobile and maintaining their balance. This laurel is for MGSA and RWJUH for hosting classes that help individuals with Parkinson’s remain active in a constructive manner.

RUSA Got It Wrong

One of RUSA’s latest bills, designed to pay the top executive board members, brought to light the amount of work volunteer associations put in. While the bill was not voted on, it unfairly elevated one campus group over the others. All campus clubs and organizations contribute to the betterment of the Rutgers community — no single organization is more valuable than another, regardless of its mission. This dart goes out to any students on campus who think their club is more worthy than another.

Humans of Rutgers

Jeremy Berkowitz’s brainchild, Humans of Rutgers is a blog that showcases the humanity within the Rutgers community. The social media campaign showcases not only the diversity amongst our student body, but the similarities that run through each and every member of the campus community. This laurel goes out to Jeremy and all the individuals who have bared their souls to the camera — your honesty embodies the essence of the University at large.

Convoluted Construction

Construction around campus has always been a pain, but we can deal with it. What we can't deal with are the bus detours that are being made without any communication to students. Because of construction on George Street, buses leaving from College Avenue to the Busch and Livingston campuses are taking detours that add a lengthy amount of time to students' commutes. This dart goes out to the Department of Transportation for not making clear to students how significantly delayed our commutes would become.