Caroline Yoshimoto, 28, dies Feb. 26

Caroline Yoshimoto, a 28-year-old doctoral student at the Mason Gross School of the Arts, died on Feb. 26, according to an email statement sent to Rutgers students by Richard L. Edwards, chancellor of Rutgers-New Brunswick.

Her cause of death was not stated. The passing of Yoshimoto marks the tenth student death faced by the Rutgers community between the months of September and February.

Yoshimoto was a graduate of Northwestern University, a D.M.A. candidate and a gifted violinist in the Rutgers Symphony Orchestra, Edwards' email read.

In an email to the Mason Gross community, Dean of Mason Gross George Stauffer described Yoshimoto as "passionate about chamber music and the vocation of teaching." She taught violin and viola to young children through the SpeakMusic Conservatory in Highland Park, offering lessons in both English and Japanese.

“She enthusiastically coached undergraduate chamber-music duets and trios here at Rutgers, constantly volunteering to take on additional coaching assignments,” Stauffer said in the email.

Yoshimoto began playing violin at the age of seven and performed for the Young Steinway Concert Series at the age of 17, according to SpeakMusic’s website. She was a finalist for the Northwestern Concerto Competition, co-concertmaster for the Northwestern University Symphony Orchestra and member of Civic Orchestra of Chicago.

Edwards and Stauffer offered condolences from the Rutgers community to Yoshimoto’s family and friends.

“The Rutgers community is saddened by the news of Caroline’s death, and we offer thoughts and prayers to her friends and family members,” Edwards said.

“This is a devastating loss for Caroline’s family and for her many friends and colleagues here at the Mason Gross School,” Stauffer said. “We ask that you join us in extending your thoughts and prayers to her family and to all who knew and loved her.”

Yoshimoto’s memorial service will be held on Sunday, March 1, at 2 p.m. in the Richard Shindell Choral Hall, located in Mortensen Hall on Douglass campus. Edwards invited members of the Rutgers community to attend the service.

Counseling for members of the University community grieving Yoshimoto’s death is available at Counseling, Alcohol and Other Drug Assistance Program and Psychiatric Services (CAPS), located at 17 Senior Street in New Brunswick.

Students living in on-campus facilities are encouraged to communicate with their Residence Life staff to cope with the loss. Off-campus or commuter students can speak with their Dean of Students.

Avalon Zoppo