Rutgers celebrates National Engineers Week

Rutgers engineers will put their skills to the test next week building spaghetti bridges, making clouds in a bottle and racing cardboard canoes.

These activities make up the University’s “National Engineers Week” celebration, said Heer Sethi, the chairman for the activities for the Engineering Governing Council.

Jeffrey Rankin, assistant dean for first-year students in the School of Engineering’s Office of Academic Affairs, will announce this year’s Cardboard Canoe Race before he retires in April.

During the canoe race students will be provided materials and given an hour to build a boat, Sethi said. They would then race the canoe across the Sonny Werblin Recreation Center pool.

“Our goal is to have fun activities that are open to the public ... because we all know that engineering is hard,” Sethi said. “That’s what we do in (the) Nerd Olympics, and the Cardboard Canoe is a time when we can apply what we learned in class.”

The week will start with the Verizon Kickoff on Monday morning, she said. Middle school students will come to the University to learn how to “think like an engineer,” while current students will network with Verizon employees.

The Nerd Olympics and the race are student run events this week, said Sethi, a School of Engineering junior. During the former, students and organizations would show off engineering ideas at individual booths.

“There will also be different demos that AlChE, or the American Institute of Chemical Engineers will put on,” she said. “(There will be a) solar car and (other fun activities) like building a spaghetti bridge contest.”

The entire event would be an interactive one for students, said Mansi Sanghvi, the event planning assistant and School of Engineering senior.

“The other thing that we’re hoping to get going is a dean in a long boat,” she said. “It’d be cool to see the undergraduates come and interact with the administration.”

Interns Present is geared towards helping students learn about internship or co-ops, Sethi said. Undergraduate students from the different departments within the School of Engineering would discuss their own experiences with applying and working.

At the end would be a question and answer session for the audience to get more information, Sethi said.

“You don’t have to be school of engineering to come to these events,” she said. “Anyone can come.”

Nikhilesh De