Students gather to test knowledge of hit sitcom ‘Friends’

uni_rupa_quizzo_logan
Photo by Zhengchen Luo |

Members of the Rutgers University Programming Association challenge students to trivia about “Friends,” the hit sitcom starring Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, Matthew Perry, David Schwimmer and Matt LeBlanc, on Jan. 29 at Henry’s Diner on the Livingston campus.

More than 200 students filled Henry’s Diner on Livingston campus to attend the Rutgers University Programming Association’s “Quizzo at Henry’s Diner: ‘Friends’ Edition,” which involved students answering questions about the hit sitcom in hopes of winning a prize. 

The turnout was unexpected, said Maria Bayas, director of Comedy and Media for RUPA. 

“We expected just a couple of people who are into ‘Friends’. This is so unexpected to have people out the door waiting in line,” said Bayas, a Rutgers Business School junior.

Bayas said RUPA has “Friends” fans that know virtually everything about the show, making the trivia question set extensive and varied.

The night included questions such as “What did Joey wear to Monica and Chandler’s wedding?”

Dedicated fans would know the dim-witted and loyal Joey Tribbiani wore a soldier’s uniform to his best friends’ wedding. 

Angie Gali, a School of Arts and Sciences senior, said her friend recommended she come to the event.  

Gali said she occasionally watches the sitcom on television. She has gone to other RUPA events in the past, enjoys them and hopes to attend more events this year.  

“It’s great how this event is very interactive and is taking place at the diner.  It keeps students engaged,” Gali said. 

John Salamo, a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore, said he was able to answer some of the trivia questions but others were too difficult for him. He said Rachel Green, Ross Geller and Joey Tribbiani are his favorite characters in the show.

Ross is one of her favorite characters too, Bayas said. But she relates most to Monica Geller because of her “Type A” personality.

Anushree Sikshi, a Rutgers Business School first-year, said she thinks Henry’s Diner it is a great environment for trivia night. 

“I love the show ‘Friends.’  The comedy is the best and all the jokes are really good,” Sikshi said. 

Sruthi Suresh, a School of Engineering first-year, has been watching ‘Friends’ a lot on Netflix.

“Chandler is great. He’s so funny. I also like Phoebe’s quirkiness and Monica and Chandler’s relationship,” Suresh said.  

Sikshi and Suresh said this was not their first RUPA event and that they went to a “Texas Chainsaw Massacre” movie event hosted by RUPA.

Suresh said she now plans on going to more RUPA events this year after having fun at trivia night.

“[The trivia event] makes you think about the past seasons and what you have forgotten about some episodes,” Sikshi said. “It’s good to go back and remember some key details. I like meeting other people [obsessed with the same show as you, too].“

Jessica Herring