U. must take firmer stand against racism

It’s no secret that many members of the Rutgers community are rightfully upset over Andrew Getraer’s baseless and offensive comments, but the fact that he has supporters who not only defend his statements, but mimic his ignorant stereotyping without any repercussions is ridiculous. Talia Friedman wrote, “So soon after the physical attacks on Charlie Hebdo came this verbal attack on Getraer. The insidious efforts at character assassination in the accusatory articles against him turned the truth upside down.” Charlie Hebdo? Verbal attack? Insidious? Comments like that are exactly what evoked a response from the Muslim community. To equate the attackers with students standing against Islamophobia is about as ignorant as it can get. Just as Getraer called out the Targum for publishing an anti-Semitic op-ed last year, we too reserve our right to call him and his supporters out for making divisive and bigoted remarks. I, along with others who have voiced their grievances, are still waiting for the administration to explicitly acknowledge these statements and take action to ensure that Muslims on campus are respected, considering that this is not the first time an issue like this has occurred.

Ahmed Ayoub is a School of Engineering senior majoring in biomedical engineering.

Ahmed Ayoub