50 shades of green, making the holiday hue work for you

ib_janine_outfit_1_logan

They say that everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day, making the hunt for celebratory green all the more competitive. While many holiday festivities necessitate out of ordinary fashion codes – cough cough Halloweekend – St. Patty’s is singular in its steadfast sartorial demands.

If you dare to walk into the party straying away from the fabled green, you can bet your bottom dollar that the fashion police – a.k.a, the kid who is so bursting with seasonal spirit that he rented a full on Leprechaun outfit for the evening – will chase you down the block and away from the other merrymakers who showed up in whatever shade of green they could procure.

So there you have it  – wear green, or endure the mean. Unless you are one of the blessed, and dually, select members of the only 2% of the world’s population that have naturally shimmering green eyes, the chances that your closet is stocked with every shade of forest, pine, olive, mint, and acid green in the game are slim. Often enough, St. Patty’s and fashion disasters go together like corned beef and cabbage!

March 17th falls next Tuesday, smack dab in the middle of spring break. Whether you are jetting to Cancun with your closest pals or driving home to your dog, finding the perfect look will crown your week, and your holiday. Have no fear, for donning a little shamrock may be easier than you think. In hopes of a little old fashioned luck, cross your fingers, read on, and don’t forget to raise your glass to the luckiest night of the year. 

Photo:

Day: Whether you will be spending the 17th on the job or out chasing fun, it’s all about finding just the right hue for you while the sun is still up. If you’re heading to work or an internship during the day, consider pairing an emerald top with black bottoms and enjoy some extra points if you also break out some gold jewelry.

As chic as it is simple, the emerald and black combination will flatter the frame and infuse your typical look with holiday spirit in a subtly sophisticated way. If green just isn’t your color, a dark green statement necklace paired with a neutral top could also do the job.

If you’re lucky enough to be able to spend the day kicking back with friends at the annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade in NYC, focus on functionality. Dressing smart for festival weather in jeans, a comfy sweater and green rain boots will keep you on point from start to finish. If you are really stuck, don’t forget that camo print counts as well, and it’ll always look good on a baseball cap. If the weather is more than chilly, you can never go wrong with an army green parka either.

Night: From house parties and bar crawls to St. Fratty’s Day feasts, the options are boundless for social festivities. All bets are off when the sun goes down, so proceed with caution – teal, turquoise and all their blue hued relatives are most definitely not green, and absolutely will show up beneath the glow of the celebratory lights.

Wherever you travel and however you celebrate, the real secret to rocking the patron shade of Ireland, is confidence. Cheers to a fantastic spring break!

Janine Puhak