Police investigating drug related home invasion robbery on Robinson Street

A Rutgers fraternity was broken into and robbed early Tuesday morning in a home invasion that New Brunswick police say was likely motivated by drugs and cash.

Members of Rutgers' Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity who reside in a house on Robinson Street reported a home invasion robbery around 12:10 a.m. on Tuesday morning, police said. Authorities believe the suspect had prior knowledge of the home's drug activity and intentionally targeted the residence. 

Eight Rutgers students were in the house at the time of the robbery. Four of the victims were residents of the home and the other four were visiting guests of the home, police said. Investigating detectives said they believe the male suspect specifically targeted the fraternity for the cash and drugs inside of the Robinson Street home.

None of the victims were injured of a result of the robbery. Police described the suspect as a light-skinned black male wearing dark clothing and yielding a gun. He fled in an unknown direction before policed arrived to the scene. 

The detectives observed large quantities of cash, drugs and drug paraphernalia in certain areas of the house while the investigation was underway. 

The victims were initially reluctant to cooperate with police. The possibility of criminal charges against the occupants of the residence are pending further investigation.

Investigators are asking anyone with information to contact Detective Dave Smith at (732) 745- 5217. 

Avalon Zoppo is a Rutgers Business School first-year student majoring in pre-business. She is an Associate News Editor at The Daily Targum. Follow her on Twitter @avalonzoppo for more stories.

Avalon Zoppo