Response to letter on Hillary’s private e-mails

Keller's article shows how polarized politics have become. Instead of offering arguments and counter arguments to refute charges made against the former Secretary of State (Hillary Clinton), Keller chooses to portray the issue as mud slinging and trash talking. This only helps keep us warring with one another. Why no mention of the Citizen's Commission on Benghazi report, the committee of which is composed of retired Generals, Admirals, CIA officers and station chiefs, whose sources claim the U.S. State Department, along with the UAE, funded and transferred weapons to Al-Qaeda-linked terrorist groups in Lybia? Among the weapons were surface to air missiles capable of taking down an airliner if targeted. Why no debate on the training and arming of ISIS by "our allies," to quote the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Dempsey? It is because we have been taught to reduce everything to mindless fighting between factions?

To quote George Washington,

"The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism. The disorders and miseries which result gradually incline the minds of men to seek security and repose in the absolute power of an individual; and sooner or later the chief of some prevailing faction, more able or more fortunate than his competitors, turns this disposition to the purposes of his own elevation, on the ruins of public liberty." Let us heed his warning.

Anthony Somma is a School of Arts and Sciences junior majoring in economics.

Anthony Somma