Rutgers bungles backside in Bluffton, South Carolina

sports_site_golf_rose_514dennis

Sophomore Ryan Rose finished tied for 82nd at the Colleton River Collegiate in Bluffton, South Carolina after shooting a total score of 164 (86-78) over two rounds.

Good enough does not cut it.

The Rutgers men’s golf team traveled to sunny Bluffton, South Carolina to compete in the Colleton River Collegiate at the Colleton River Plantation Club. Big Ten foe Michigan State hosted the tournament.

The first two rounds of the tournament were played on Monday at the Jack Nicklaus Course, where golfers must shoot a 72 to make par.

Rutgers was in a tie for 13th place with a team score of 311 at the conclusion of the first round. The Knights had 47 pars and 10 birdies as a team, finishing at plus-three in the Par-threes, plus-34 in the Par fours and Par fives.

Senior Jacob Stockl shot a 75 in the first round, just three over par to finish just seven strokes out of first. He finished the round in a tie for 32nd.

Freshman Michael Howe ended the first round with a plus-five, 77 tied in 54th. Freshman Pedro Toks shot a 78 for a tie in 59th place, while sophomore Chase Wheatly hit a 79, tied for 66th. 

Freshmen Matt Holuta (81), Jack Panagos (82) and sophomore Ryan Rose (86) concluded the round in ties for 78th, 81st and 86th, respectively.

Head coach Rob Shutte was unhappy with the way his team played in the first round.

“Not our best,” Shutte said. “We’re a little banged up with injuries. We got off to a good start the first four holes but we had a little struggle there in the first 90 minutes. We were in third place and we dropped down the leader boards, so it’s a little bit of everything at this point.”

In the second round, Rutgers shot a 308 total as a team to increase its score to 619. The Knights were in sole possession of 13th place at the end of the round. The squad compiled 53 pars and eight birdies while finishing at plus-10 in the Par threes, plus 23 in the Par fours, and two under in the Par fives.

Toks led his team in the round by shooting a one-over 73 and increased his individual total to 151. The freshman was in 36th place in the standings at the end of the round.

Howe shot a plus-five, 78 and concluded the day in 52nd place after boosting his score to 155.

Stockl collapsed a little bit in the second round with a plus 11, 83 and a total mark of 158, falling all the way down to 66th in the standings.

Holuta raised his score to 160 after shooting a plus seven, 79 on the round while finishing in 73rd place.

Wheatly ended the day in 77th place after hitting a plus-10, 82, increasing his total to 161.

Rose (78) and Panagos (82) concluded the round with individual scores of 164 and tied for 82nd in the standings.

Tennessee (575) was in first place after Monday’s competition followed by Miami of Ohio (583). Michigan State rounded out the top three with a 585.

Rutgers played in nearly perfect conditions during round three yesterday on the Dye Course. The weather touched 80 degrees with winds flowing west-northwest at two miles per hour.

The Knights had their best score of the tournament in the final round. The team shot a 305 and finished the championship in 11th place with a total score of 924.

“We played on a different golf course in the third round,” said Shutte. “We got off to a good start again today. We were low round of the day probably 60 percent of the time. We just ran into a patch of holes which is kind of indicative of where we are at the beginning of the year where we don’t keep the momentum going. … We played a lot of good golf but, we weren’t able to kind of right the ship.”

Stockl and Toks outperformed their teammates in the third round. Stockl shot a plus-two on the front and a plus-one on the back nine to finish three over at 75 on the day. Toks also had a 75 in the round with a plus-two on the front and just one over on the backside.

Rose shot four over par on the front but did not do so well on the back nine. He had a plus-10 in the final nine holes and finished the round with a plus-14, 86.

Holuta hit a plus-five, 77 with a plus-three on the front and a plus-two on the back nine.

Howe shot four over par on the front and a plus-two on the final nine to finish at six over par on the day. Panagos had a plus-10 on the first nine holes and a plus-four on the back nine to conclude the round at 14 over par. 

Wheatly was two under on the front, but notched a plus-eight on the back nine. He shot six over par on the round.

Tennessee won the Colleton River Collegiate with a total score of 872. The Volunteers shot a 297 as a team in the third round to clinch the victory. Miami of Ohio finished in second, raising its team score to 880 after shooting a 297 in the third round.

Michigan State compiled a team score of 883 to finish third in the final standings, shooting a 298 in the third round. Charleston, Boston College, UConn, DePaul, Xavier, Detroit, Oakland, Rutgers, South Dakota State, Drake and Creighton rounded out the standings in that order.

Rutgers played well at times, but was unable to earn a top-ten finish at the Colleton River Collegiate. The play of Toks and Howe, were tremendous positives for the Knights during the competition.

Stockl had to play through an ankle injury suffered during the tournament and his toughness made an impression on Shutte,

“He was limping pretty badly the whole time,” Shutte said. “He toughed it out and I was impressed with him toughing it out.”

For updates on the Rutgers men’s golf team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Evan Bruno