Trade in the LX for LAX this spring break

ib_springbreakdannielle

Danielle Gonzalez
Associate Features Editor

Snow is everywhere, midterms are piling up and catching a bus at College Hall feels like it should be an event in the Hunger Games. Do not despair, for there is a light at the end of the tunnel. It is warm, bright and tastes like Jose Cuervo — it’s spring break.

Photo:

For those of you looking to trade in your RUID and the LX for your passport and a plane ticket, there’s still time to make plans for spring break.

U.S. News & World Report Travel named San Juan, Puerto Rico, Daytona, Fla. and Cancun, Mexico, 2015’s top spring break destinations.

If you’re looking for some fun in the sun, popular spring break destinations within the states include Las Vegas, California and Texas. Internationally, the Dominican Republic, Jamaica and many cities in Mexico are top picks for college students.

The first and most important rule of tropical travel is to always go all-inclusive. It’s the only way to travel, and the last thing you want is to be lounging poolside and deciding whether to spend your last few crumpled dollars on dinner or a piña colada.

Now, before you kick yourself for throwing away your paychecks on useless things like textbooks –– there are still great deals out there if you look hard enough.

If you have never been on Groupon, you are seriously missing out. The coupon inspired site offers ridiculously cheap deals to a variety of local and international destinations that usually include special dining and activity packages.

If the idea of traveling or organizing a big trip overwhelms you, student travel organizations like Student City or STS Travel are great resources that cater specifically to college students.

Student City offers package deals that include flight, bus transport and hotel or resort accommodations, as well as providing 24/7 on-site staff for all destinations, to ensure travelers safety. They also partner with sponsors to organize large events.

Now, just because it’s spring break does not mean you have to go on a tropical bender where you buy a ski mask and join a drug cartel with Vanessa Hudgens and James Franco. But if the odds of that happening seem like too high of a risk, you might want to play it on the safer side this year.

Go to a ski resort where you can snowboard and ask strangers if they’d like to build a snowman with you while singing an off-pitch version of “Let it Go” — don’t worry, we won’t judge. Rent a lakeside cabin with some friends and hope that it’s not like the beginning of every horror movie ever made.

Not to mention, music festival season is just around the corner and there are a few shows coming up just in time for spring break.

Fuse has compiled a list of the “21 Best Music Festivals of 2015”, and one of them just happens to run from March 13-22. 

If you’re down for a road trip to Austin, Texas and don’t mind filling up your gas tank a few times on the way, the “South by Southwest,” festival will feature performances by Lady Gaga, Charli XCX and many more.

You can also check out Musical Festival Junkies for smaller shows running far and wide throughout the week of Rutgers’ spring break.

If you’re not looking to break the bank, can’t get enough time off from work or simply don’t see the appeal of an elaborate spring break getaway, there is still hope for you.

One of the many perks of attending Rutgers University is that we are centrally located within the tri-state area. With New York City and Philadelphia right in our back yard, the possibilities are endless.

Hop on a train to New York City for the day and go to a museum, see a Broadway show or go to a posh new restaurant where you can Instagram your steak tartare and cheese soufflé and make all of your foodie friends jealous. 

Better yet, try something new! Aside from travel deals, Groupon offers great discounted coupons for a variety of local, fun activities you might have never thought to try before. Grab your best friend and treat yourself to a spa day or sign up for a cooking or kickboxing class.

Whether you’re going abroad, rocking out to your favorite bands or taking in some local culture, the most important thing about spring break is to just have fun and enjoy your time off.

Danielle Gonzalez