St. Patrick's Day sweets that are magically delicious

ib_lucky_charms

Winter gradually departs, the clocks leap ahead and signs of spring slowly begin to appear in classic seasonal fashion. Accordingly, the coming of a certain lucky holiday is also upon us.

St. Patrick’s Day is right around the corner, and whether you’re planning to celebrate with some traditional Irish soda bread or a quick Shamrock Shake from McDonalds, let Inside Beat inspire you with some delicious dessert ideas. As you breathe a long-awaited sigh of relief now that midterms have finished, indulge in some sweet green leprechaun-inspired treats!

Green velvet cupcakes

For those of you that love to bake or have friends that enjoy channeling some domesticity, this idea is simple and easy. After pre-heating the oven and completing all preparations, add 6-7 drops of green food coloring to your regular vanilla cupcake mix before pouring the batter into the pan. Keep in mind that you can alter the amount to create different shades of green or depending on how many cupcakes you are making.

Bake the cupcakes until a toothpick comes out clean and top them off with cream cheese frosting. To be extra festive, you can also mix peppermint extract into the frosting before spreading. Finish your cupcakes with some green shamrock sprinkles.

Lucky Charms Krispies

Do St. Patrick’s Day the right way and impress your friends by making delicious Lucky Charms marshmallow squares. This recipe is especially convenient because you can find Lucky Charms in the cereal section of your nearest dining hall.

In a pot, melt a couple tablespoons of unsalted butter and add 8 ounces of marshmallows. After everything has melted, immediately reduce the heat to low and add half a box’s worth of Lucky Charms cereal. Stir the mix until the cereal and marshmallows have been completely mixed.

Butter a baking tray, place a piece of greased wax paper on top and evenly spread the mix over the baking tray. Add more Lucky Charms marshmallows on top, let it cool for an hour and slice into squares! This recipe should serve 8-10.

For an alternative no-bake recipe, try a Lucky Charms trail mix. Throw together a mix of Lucky Charms marshmallows, regular small marshmallows, pretzels, M&Ms, Reese’s Pieces and your favorite chocolate candy.

Microwave 1-2 cups of white chocolate chips until they have melted, pour it over your mixture of Lucky Charms and toss it like a salad until your mixture is coated with white chocolate.

Let cool and then lightly break up the mixture. Feel free to add your own ingredients to give it a personalized touch. For extra luck, eat with gold chocolate coins!

Natalie Lin