Yoga offers relaxing change of pace for those in fitness funk

ib_yoga

As we inch toward the end of the semester and beautiful weather awakens the campus community, constant pressure to get that long-awaited “beach bod” for the summer season becomes increasingly relevant with each passing day. With rising temperatures also comes the pressure of upcoming exams, and internship searches slowly creeping up our spines. During these hectic final weeks to relieve stress, let Inside Beat provide you with a solution to get in shape, relax and improve mental health: yoga.

A little history

Yoga as a discipline dates back to the sixth century BCE, where it was developed in the southern region of Asia. Developed as a means to achieve “enlightenment,” yoga as a technique embraces the physical body and is meant to prolong life and energize the individual. It is unknown exactly where and when it originated, but it was introduced to the West in the late 19th century where it was widely accepted and practiced in American culture.

Get toned for summer

Change up your exercise routine by choosing a yoga mat instead of weights or a treadmill. According to the American Osteopathic Association, yoga helps increase muscle tone and fosters weight reduction through stretching and flexing, and the benefits don’t end there. Practicing yoga can help improve your circulatory system, increase flexibility and protect muscles from tearing or injury. It also helps build strength in core muscles and overall endurance. Your body will thank you.

Everyone’s included

Don’t worry if you’ve never tried it before. Whether you consider yourself an athlete outside of the classroom, or a Netflix-binging couch potato, yoga doesn’t discriminate. For the beginner or the advanced yogi, there’s a wide range of poses and stretches to accommodate any skill level.

Relieve anxiety

Whether you’re busy with work, school or extracurricular events, you might be feeling the never-ending pressure to finish out the school year successfully. One of the biggest benefits of yoga is that it can help you achieve relaxation through meditation and breathing exercises. After a long day filled with responsibilities, it’s just what you need to unwind. Also, here’s a little known fact: Yoga can help cure hangovers by detoxing the system, bringing more blood to the brain and improving metabolism. Its benefits are very versatile.

Generate positive vibes

Yoga encompasses more than just postures and physical stances. It can be considered alternative medicine for your mind and body. As stated by Goerg Feuerstein, a mystic and philosopher of yoga, “The traditional purpose of yoga has always been to bring about a profound transformation in the person through the transcendence of ego.” In other words, through meditation, relaxation techniques and breathing exercises, one can achieve a stress-free mental state along with a great mood to conquer a chaotic day!

Get involved

Engage your mind, body, and spirit here at Rutgers with the Not Just Yoga Club, sponsored by The Art of Living. Their mission here is to create a stress-free campus through powerful breathing techniques, yoga, and meditation!

Natalie Lin