No. 20 Ohio State rolls Rutgers in 17-7 rout

online_sbrillinaaz
Photo by Naaz Modan |

Senior midfielder Lauren Sbrilli led a quiet offensive attack for Rutgers with just two goals in the Knights' 17-7 loss to No. 20 Ohio State.

After suffering its 14th loss in a row this season, the Rutgers women's lacrosse team continues its search for an elusive first Big Ten win.

On Senior Night, No. 20 Ohio State defended its home turf with ease at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium. In a 17-7 rout, the Buckeyes kept season-long troubles going for the Scarlet Knights (1-14, 0-4).

Katie Chase scored five goals for Ohio State (11-5, 2-2) to increase her season tally to 44, putting her in a tie for 14th in the country. Three of her goals were assisted by Jackie Cifarelli, who finished the contest with six assists. 

Cifarelli’s assist tally is now at 46, the highest total in the nation.

Ohio State’s balanced offense made an appearance in Columbus. Eight different players scored for the Buckeyes, including senior defender Taylor Donahue, who notched her first career tally.

The Knights lost the opening faceoff, and from their it only got worse.

After turning the ball over to the Buckeyes on two consecutive possessions, Rutgers dug itself into a hole it couldn't get out of. Following a Candice Dandridge save on a Katie Chase shot, Ohio State scored three goals in just under two minutes to take a commanding lead five minutes into the contest.

The post-goal faceoffs were crucial in the sequence. 

The Knights won the opening faceoff, but began to concede possession in the center circle. Tied for 21st in the nation in draw control average, the Buckeyes won the next three faceoffs, which allowed them to tally quickly and run up the score.

Rutgers was unable to recover from the early onslaught. The Knights were outscored, 7-3, to end the first period following the early three-goal run.

Coming out of the locker room for the second half, any hopes of a comeback for Rutgers were shattered when Molly Wood won the draw control, ran the ball up the field and scored an unassisted goal within 12 seconds of the restart.

Kristina Dunphey responded 46 seconds later for the Knights, but it wasn’t enough. Despite freshmen Kerri Puckhaber and Joanna Reilly scoring the last two goals of the game, Ohio State scored six of the final nine goals to seal the win.

Rutgers will have six days to prepare for their trip to Baltimore to face John Hopkins.

For updates on the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team, follow @briannnnf and @TargumSports on Twitter.

Brian Fonseca