Surviving the post breakup binge

ib2edwin

Temperatures are soaring, salmon-colored cargo shorts and sundress sightings are on a rise and with the semester coming to a close in a few short weeks, the feeling of freedom is in the air. But before you whip out your stars and stripes, the coming of the long-awaited summer months can only mean one thing — lots of breakups.

Relationships lose their sizzle as the weather gets warmer, so it's no wonder that the start of the summer is often called “breakup season.” Among summer flings, trips to the beach and a well-deserved break from all academic responsibilities, everyone’s feeling the need to let go of their “bae” and enjoy the warm weather with no strings attached.

But that’s all easier said than done. After drowning your woes in a tub of mint chocolate chip ice cream and finally accepting your newly single status, you might be realizing that your waistline is a couple inches wider than you expected.

Photo:
Photo:

So while April showers are anticipating May breakups, Inside Beat’s got you covered on how to survive the post-breakup binge without compromising your summer physique.

Beat your sweet tooth

During a breakup, everyone’s tempted to hibernate with a tub of his or her favorite ice cream, or a bar of Hershey’s chocolate for some much-needed Netflix therapy, failing to realize that there are much healthier ways to satisfy cravings without falling victim to the spell of Ben and Jerry. Replace your ice cream with Greek or frozen yogurt. Mix in strawberries, blueberries and granola on top for a healthy treat.

If you're craving chocolate, substitute milk chocolate with dark — it is full of minerals, antioxidants and actually contains less calories. Eating a few pieces of dark chocolate every day can also help prevent blood clots and promote heart health. Alternatively, if you'd like to skip the solid chocolate altogether, opt for chocolate milk, which can come in a variety of fat-free and low-fat options. The ratio of calcium intake to caloric intake will prove ideal and your body will thank you!

High-carb foods are not your friend

Many people will find comfort in consuming large quantities of carbs to make themselves feel better. Although that slice of Skinny Vinnie’s penne pizza might be calling your name, go for something lighter and much less greasy. Choose healthier options and replace high-carb foods with whole grain selections, like cereal. We recommend Honey Nut Cheerios, Raisin Bran and Kashi GOLEAN! Crunch.

To feel fuller for longer, add milk and slices of banana to your cereal. On a side note, if you’re a sucker for the dining hall pasta line, choose whole wheat pasta instead of white pasta.

Banish late-night cravings

In the wee hours of the night, when the takeout line and dining hall are no longer open, you might feel the temptation to swipe a bag of Doritos from the vending machine. Or, if you’ve been engaging in celebratory, extracurricular activities involving a cheap bottle of Traveler’s Club and morning regrets, you might find yourself dialing the number to RU-Hungry at 3 a.m. Resist the chicken bacon ranch flavored temptation.

It’s no secret that alcohol is a gold mine of calories. The dreaded “beer belly” is a very real thing, especially in "dage" season — so consider a glass of wine or a low-calorie mixed drink instead of downing half a case of Coors.

While you may be feeling slightly emotional or, in simpler terms, “some type of way,” don’t ruin your hard-earned efforts at the gym by binging on unhealthy, high-calorie foods late at night. Instead, indulge your drunken munchies with easy options such as air-popped popcorn. It’ll quench your salty craving without packing in the fat and you’ll feel much better in the morning.

While your heart might be broken, you should never let emotions compromise your health or your happiness. Don’t spend your summer held up inside or crying in your ice cream — but if you must, Inside Beat can be your shoulder to cry on.

Natalie Lin