‘Rutgers for Hillary’ at University, get involved in campaign

She’s finally done it! Former First Lady of the United States, Senator of New York, U.S. Secretary of State and overwhelming favorite Democratic contender Hillary Clinton has finally thrown her hat into the ring for the 2016 Presidential Election. As Clinton transitions to campaign mode, it is now more imperative than ever for her supporters to create a strong and cohesive base as well as educate others on her vision for a brighter America. The new student-run club, “Rutgers for Hillary,” is poised for just that task.

I support Clinton for president and joined “Rutgers for Hillary” for a multitude of reasons. Mainly, I believe in the vision Clinton holds for the future of America as well as her stance on current issues. Clinton is the candidate to support if you would like to see the following become a reality:

1. Receiving equal pay for equal work — Closing the gendered wage-gap is a major issue that continues to harm American women. I support a candidate who believes that “it’s time to have wage equality once and for all.”
  2. Education system reform to make college more affordable — As college students, we all know the economic burden paying tuition can place on families. Clinton wants to make education more affordable and develop a system that accommodates everyone.
  3. Reducing the striking levels of income inequality by raising the minimum wage — Clinton's backing of the middle class has her fighting to mitigate the growing income disparities between the wealthiest 1 percent and everyone else, thereby working to improve the quality of minimum wage workers.
  4. Equal rights for the LGBT community and marriage equality — No other presidential candidate before Clinton has so defiantly called for the right to marriage. Just look at her announcement video!
  5. The promotion of peace and tolerance around the world — Clinton's experience as secretary of state has given her a unique perspective on promoting dialogue between world leaders while knowing what it takes to maintain a powerful America.
  6. The creation of a greener America — Clinton has a strong voting record of calling to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, searching for alternative sources of energy and cutting dependence on foreign oil.

These are just a few of the reasons why I am putting all my weight behind Clinton in 2016. If you agree with any of these just causes, Clinton would definitely be your choice for president.

So you may be asking yourself, what can I do now? Although the election is 20 months away, joining local grassroots campaigns is a great start, bringing us back to “Rutgers for Hillary.” This group, officially a club, is in the process of transitioning from spreading awareness about Clinton to actively campaigning on her behalf. As we move closer to the election, “Rutgers for Hillary” will be involved in holding events, leading rallies, tabling around campus and organizing get-out-to-vote campaigns. We have a busy 20 months ahead of us, and we want you to be a part of it! You can start by finding us on Facebook by searching “Rutgers for Hillary” and liking the page or by emailing us at Rutgersforhillary@gmail.com. If you are as passionate about Clinton as we are and have some ideas about campaigning, we are in the process of creating positions for a future executive board. Consider running! We highly recommend getting in touch soon. This is an amazing opportunity, not only for you, but for an amazing person we can believe in.

Zach Goldfarb is a School of Arts and Sciences junior double majoring in history and political science, with minors in Spanish and biological sciences.

Zach Goldfarb