Rutgers network experiences more technical difficulties

The RUWireless and RUWireless Secure networks experienced serious “degradation” at about 9:40 a.m. on Monday. The Telecommunications Division Network Operations Center was tracking the outage, according to an email sent to University members.

The Central Authentication System (CAS) and Sakai were sporadically available to students throughout the day. As of 5:30 p.m. on Monday night, rutgers.edu and all related sites were unavailable, according to the Rutgers IT Facebook page.

According to the Rutgers University Facebook page, the next update will be released at 8:30 a.m. today.

University servers were last taken down by the Office of Information Technology (OIT) after a Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attack at the end of March, as previously reported by The Daily Targum.

During that attack, servers were unavailable for an entire weekend, with access to CAS and related webpages limited to on-campus networks until late that Monday.

A DDoS occurs when thousands of computers request a server for information, overloading it and forcing network administrators to shut it down for protection. They primarily disrupt Internet-reliant services, as what happened with the University.

This attack followed a shorter one in early March, during which two emails by the alleged attacker were sent to The Daily Targum.

These emails claimed that the sender was responsible for all of the previous attacks on University servers, including one in November. It also said there would be an attack the day it was sent.

In an interview with The Daily Targum, Don Smith, vice president and chief intelligence officer for the University’s Office of Information Technology said the emails were “credible” given its proximity to the attack.

The emails were forwarded to the OIT and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), which are attempting to track the attacker, according to a previous article in The Daily Targum.

A Reddit user claiming to be the attacker said they released private information online during the March 27 attack.

Smith said no personal information was compromised at the time, but that the OIT would track any changes to the situation.

Registration dates for the week have shifted, according to Julie Traxler, dean of first-year students in the School of Arts and Sciences.

Students with 20 or more credits can register on Tuesday, April 28. Students with 15 or more credits can register Wednesday and students with 10 or more credits can register Thursday. All students can register on Sunday, May 3.

During the November attack on the network, first-year students were prevented from registering for the spring semester as well.

The Network Operations Center would not comment on if this server takedown was the result of an attack, but an email sent by the OIT described it as “technical difficulties.”

Network status updates can be found at www.facebook.com/RutgersIT.

Nikhilesh De