Rutgers rounds out eighth place finish

online_zurick_tian
Photo by Yingjie Hu |

Junior Racquel Zurick finished in a tie for 27th with teammate Emily Mills at the River Landing Classic in Wallace, North Carolina April 10-12.

The Rutgers women's golf team competed at the River Landing Classic in Wallace, North Carolina, playing on the Landing Course on Saturday before moving to the River Course on Sunday. 

The golfers did not disappoint. 

Rutgers began play shortly after 9 a.m. on Saturday morning for two rounds or 36 holes of competition at the Par 72 Landing Course.

Freshman Emily Mills had a great showing by putting up a seven over par, 79 in the first round and a two over, 74 in the second round. She had 24 pars on Saturday and shot two birdies.

Racquel Zurick also shot a 79 for the first 18 holes on Saturday. The junior played even better in the second round with a plus-one, 73. Zurick hit 17 pars on the day with seven birdies as well.

“Racquel (Zurick) really hit the ball very well, controlled it very well, putted for a lot of birdies this week,” said head coach Kari Williams. “I was just really happy with her position on the course. There were a lot of doglegs and she is a long hitter. She kind of had to play very target golf and you know, hit a lot of hybrids of the tee and wasn’t able to take advantage of her length as much as she normally does so I was just real happy with the control she showed with the game.”

Junior Christina Paulsen finished at plus-five through 36 holes with a 78 in rounds one and two. She shot three birdies on Saturday along with 19 pars.

Gabrielle Sachelli hit a plus-nine 81 and bogeyed on eight holes in the first round. The junior bounced back in the second round with four birdies and eight pars for a two-over par, 74.

Freshman Tatum Jackson shot 11 pars in the first round for a plus-seven, 79, but ran into some difficulty later in the day. Jackson had a 10 over par, 82 in the second round with a birdie on the 11th hole.

Rutgers shot a 315 as a unit in the first round and a season-low 299 in round two for a combined score of 614. The Knights stood in ninth place at the conclusion of Saturday’s play.

The women teed off early Sunday morning at 8:45 a.m. As a team, the Knights compiled a 926 final score after a 312 in the third round and finished in eighth place.

“Today, we had three good rounds,” Williams said. “The course played a little more difficult today than it did yesterday. We had three really good rounds out of Emily, Racquel and Christina. We were just one score away from, you know, kind of shooting down where we did yesterday.”

Zurick and Mills both concluded the River Landing Classic in ties for 27th in the standings. Mills shot a plus-four, 76 and Zurick had a plus-five, 77. They both hit plus-13 for the tournament overall.

Paulsen shot a four over par, 76 on Sunday and finished in a tie for 36th. She had a plus-16 after three rounds. Jackson concluded the tournament at plus-28 after an 11 over par-83 in the third round. Sachelli hit an 84 and ended up in a tie for 50th in the standings.

“Emily had a really good tournament as well,” said Williams. “Today, she putted for more birdies probably than she did the other two rounds yesterday. Inside 12 feet, she just wasn’t making as many puts. She was really good (from) 100 yards and in getting the ball close to the hole. She recovered well from her mistakes.”

For updates on the Rutgers women's golf team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Evan Bruno