Rutgers students propose ideas to rebuild waterfront

Hurricane Sandy significantly damaged various parts of the state. Undergraduate students at the University hope to help rebuild one town’s waterfront, according to northjersey.com.

Seniors in the Department of Landscape Architecture designed options to rebuild the Little Ferry waterfront and presented them to the borough’s council earlier in March. Teams within the department created seven different proposals for analysis.

According to northjersey.com, these designs are inspired by the winning proposal for the Rebuild by Design (RBD) project in the Meadowlands.

According to rebuildbydesign.org, rebuilding the region requires creating attractive but well-built areas for pedestrians.

The new waterfront in Little Ferry, along with other projects in Moonachie, Carlstadt, Teterboro and South Hackensack, will need to be able to protect the region from flooding. The winning RBD proposal suggests doing that by building and expanding natural water reservoirs, according to their website.

Other goals are to help reduce sewage overflow during rainy days and prevent ocean surges from flooding the towns on their own, according to northjersey.com. Using the land more efficiently by creating a more urban environment where a suburban one existed previously is also important.

This would include creating new public areas for recreation and public transportation, according to northjersey.com.

These goals were submitted by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s Center for Advanced Urbanism as well as Zones Urbaines Sensibles and De Urbanisten, two Dutch urban research and design companies.

The University students incorporated the threat of floods into their proposals, suggesting methods to mitigate the dangers they pose, according to northjersey.com.

Though some of the suggestions the students made are not feasible at the time, they all demonstrate potential solutions for rebuilding the waterfront.

Other suggestions were more plausible and fulfilled the goals set by the winning RBD team. These would include planning out the open public spaces and the new living areas.

All of the suggestions are supposed to explain how residents can live with a rebuilt levee that would benefit the town.

According to an rt.com article, levees failed to protect the towns during Sandy. The Hackensack River flooded much of the region at the time after one broke in Moonachie.

The flooding required a large-scale evacuation of Moonachie and neighboring towns, including Little Ferry, according to the article.

Introducing students to actual problems and allowing them to learn was one of the reasons the University contributed, said Wolfram Hoefer, an associate professor in the Department of Landscape Architecture in the NorthJersey.com article.

These students gathered information before presenting their proposals, he said.

All of the suggestions will go to RBD, said Mauro Raguseo, Little Ferry’s mayor.

Nikhilesh De