Rutgers hosts first female-oriented hackathon

hackherscolin_copy
Photo by Colin Pieters |

February 2015 | More than 200 students gathered at the Busch Campus Center for HackHers, a 24-hour hackathon aimed at increasing female participation in technology on Feb. 7 and 8.

More than 200 students gathered on Busch Campus Center for HackHers, a 24-hour hackathon aimed at increasing female participation in technology on Feb. 7 and 8.

Julie Duncan, a student organizer and president of Women in Computer Science (WICS), hoped this event would address the lack of women in technology and provide a welcoming atmosphere for them to become a part of the community.

The hackathon also gained support from top companies such as Bloomberg, Goldman Sachs and Colgate-Palmolive that sponsored the event and networked with attendees.

Some of the tech talks featured covered gender-based issues in the tech world such as imposter syndrome and salary negotiation, led by Elaine Zundle, dean of The Douglass Project for Women in Maths, Science and Engineering, and Karen Alexander, associate dean of the Douglass Residential College.

Although eighty percent of the attendees had no prior coding experience, several students took home prizes for their innovations.

Rosheen Chaudhry, a School of Arts and Sciences junior, took home the award for best web application for “FemInformed,” an app that would gather and organize information about feminist issues daily.

Elizabeth Bradley, a Princeton University sophomore, won first place for “Control F++”, a Google chrome extension that allowed users to locate page elements, similar to the control-find function.

Shazia Mansuri