Backup adds versatility, athleticism at linebacker for Rutgers

– Photo by null

PISCATAWAY — In the front line of the Rutgers football team’s linebacking rotation, it can be easy to miss being mentioned.

Junior Steve Longa, a two-year starter with 100-plus tackles in each of those first couple of seasons, holds down the weak side. Fifth-year senior Quentin Gause is slated to man the strong side.

And in the middle, either South Carolina graduate transfer Kaiwan Lewis or junior college transfer Isaiah Johnson duke it out in training camp for the starting spot.

But on the second line of that rotation is Eric Margolis. Currently listed as the backup to Gause on the strong side, Margolis has caught on quick since arriving to Piscataway in 2014.

“I feel like I learned a lot,” Margolis said. “All the defensive terminologies was all new coming in, but just hearing it over and over and over helped me a lot. I mean, going against, you know, the ones on offense for scout team that was very helpful because they’re the best and we’re practicing against the best.”

The New City, New York, native could potentially be a key at providing depth at the linebacking level. While he mainly has worked with the second team, Margolis has also seen time working with the first team as Gause’s substitute here and there.

But perhaps the most surprising aspect to his development at the position is the fact that he hadn’t played a down of it at Clarkstown South (New York) High School.

“I played safety in high school,” he said. “And I feel very comfortable with (linebacker). The defense we ran in my high school is very similar to what we’re doing here.”

The raw athleticism and size he possesses undoubtedly helps him stand out. Standing at 6-foot-4, 225 pounds, Margolis’ length on the outside provides a secret weapon in coverage.

The fact that he starred at tight end prior on the offensive side of the ball back in his high school days definitely helps in a Big Ten Conference full of pro-style offenses heavy with production at the position.

“He’s still learning the position. He’s a guy in high school that played safety, played wide receiver, played kind of a flex tight end,” said head coach Kyle Flood. “Didn’t play linebacker, so being at the second level of the defense really happens faster as an adjustment.”

But with Margolis spending one year patrolling the scout team and growing acclimated with the schemes of defensive coordinator Joe Rossi and linebackers coach Bob Fraser, Flood thinks the redshirt-freshman has shown signs of maturity with the more time he spends at the position.

“Last year, he spent a lot of time on the scout team and (was) hard to make the adjustment,” Flood said. “… Now he’s had the spring practice and a couple days of training camp. He’s starting to get it, but he’s still learning the position.”

***

As the quarterback decision remains a mystery with Flood mulling over sophomores Chris Laviano and Hayden Rettig, the attention seems to have shifted over to Saturday night’s scrimmage.

When the Scarlet Knights take to High Point Solutions Stadium under the lights in their second scrimmage of training camp, Flood hopes to find clarity at the position and beyond on the roster.

“One day closer to our scrimmage. We’re looking forward to it,” Flood said. “That’s gonna be a big test for our program, an opportunity for a lot of these guys to show how far they’ve come since the first scrimmage.”

As the offense continues to implement and develop the complexities of its schemes, Flood expressed his pleasure with how Laviano and Rettig have responded in practice.

“I like the way they’re controlling the huddle. Again, we’re challenging them,” Flood said. “We are really pressing the installs and what we do on defense is challenging for our quarterbacks. They’re seeing a lot of good stuff everyday in practice to get them ready for the year.”

***

While the biggest question on the offensive line remains at center, Rutgers appears to have found reinforcement in the trenches with Marcus Applefield.

After enrolling early in the spring of 2014 and sitting out for the fall, the redshirt-freshman has impressed as the second week of training camp on the banks nears its end.

“I think we’re close. I do think we’re gonna play more than five (linemen),” Flood said. “I like the way that some of these younger guys are coming along, a guy like Marcus Applefield. Everyday, he seems to impress me a little bit more.”

While junior offensive lineman Chris Muller’s starting role at the position remains in question as he competes for the starting center spot with junior Derrick Nelson and sophomore Dorian Miller, it could potentially open the door for Applefield at right guard.

The 6-foot-6, 300-pounder embraces the immediate challenge if it surfaces. After taking his time to develop since arriving from Weeki Wachee, Florida, Applefield admits he’s grown on the playing field.

“I’ve gotten better as a player,” Applefield said. “Just getting better, day-by-day, learning and getting better. That’s my job.”

But as he prepares for the 2015 season and the role it could open for him, Applefield kept his goals simple for the remainder of camp.

“Just play with confidence, you know,” he said. “Get to know the playbook better and playing at my top level.”

Flood also noted the development of Tariq Cole. Another redshirt-freshman standing at 6-foot-7, 320 pounds, Cole and Applefield could be two cornerstones on the offensive line for the foreseeable future as they continue to develop.

“Tariq Cole’s been impressive,” Flood said. “And, again, we want to be a little bit more consistent, but he’s getting there. So, I definitely see us playing more than five this year.”

***

Whether it be on blocked kicks or kick returns, there’s no undermining the impact that special teams has had for Rutgers in the past few years.

Aside from junior wide receiver Janarion Grant, the Knights have options as his sidekick for kick returns. Flood walked through the possibilities after practice.

“Certainly Janarion will be back there,” he said. “Josh Hicks is an exciting guy, Justin Goodwin does a good job back there. So, I think we’ve got a lot of guys that can do it for us. But Janarion will certainly be part of that.”

Noting the development of senior wide receiver Leonte Carroo, who had a large impact on special teams with a blocked punt in the fourth quarter at Temple as a true freshman, Flood said he would evaluate the potential underclassmen that might be able to leave their mark starting on the special teams unit.

“(Special teams) is an area where raw athleticism can take over and get a guy to play within a system for a couple plays a game,” Flood said. “I’m not sure who that’ll be yet this year, but there’s a lot of guys we’re looking at that’ll do it.”

For updates on the Rutgers football team, follow @GarrettStepien and @TargumSports on Twitter.