Rutgers football player Leonte Carroo accused of slamming woman to ground, injuring her


front_carroo_michelle
Photo by Michelle Klejmont |

Rutgers football senior captain and wide receiver Leonte Carroo slammed a woman to the concrete outside of High Point Solutions Stadium on Busch campus Sept. 12, according to a complaint filed in Piscataway municipal court and obtained by The Record of Bergen County.

The complaint stated that Carroo is accused of “picking her up and slamming her down on a concrete surface, injuring her left hip, both palms, left elbow and left side of the head.”

On Monday, The Daily Targum obtained a statement issued by Rutgers University Police Department Chief Kenneth Cop stating that Carroo was arrested on the night of the incident and charged with simple assault under domestic violence.

Carroo, 21, was allegedly involved in the altercation outside of Hale Center, the team’s training center connected to the stadium, about 45 minutes after the Scarlet Knights’ 37-34 loss to Washington State.

He was released on $1,000 bail, according to the complaint.

A source close to the team who witnessed the event told the Targum earlier this week that the altercation involved two female acquaintances of Carroo. The source requested anonymity due to the ongoing investigation.

The source also identified the injured woman as a recruiting hostess for Rutgers Athletics on game days and other events. When the two women got involved in the altercation, the source said Carroo, who was told by teammates and coaches not to leave the locker room, went outside to intervene.

According to The Record, the injured woman was romantically involved with Carroo.

When Rutgers head football coach Kyle Flood was asked whether or not one of the women was employed by Rutgers Athletics, he said he could not comment on the details of the investigation.

Prior to when the complaint was reported by The Record on Tuesday, sophomore running back Robert Martin spoke about the initial reaction to the news of Carroo’s arrest at the team’s media availability on Monday.

“I was shocked,” Martin said. “But like the coaches said, we just gotta stay focused, stay tight and just get ready to play Saturday.”

At his weekly press conference on Monday, Flood deferred answering any questions regarding the details of the incident until the athletic department releases a statement.

As of Tuesday, the status of Carroo’s indefinite suspension has not changed. Rutgers travels to Penn State for its Big Ten Conference opener on Saturday.

“No status change as of right now,” Flood told reporters Tuesday afternoon on a Big Ten teleconference call. “I’m not at liberty to comment on the investigation, but there is no status change for Leonte right now.”

Carroo, a School of Arts and Sciences senior, was suspended for the first half of the football team’s Sept. 5 season opener against Norfolk State when Flood said the wide receiver and four teammates broke curfew.

When he spoke to the media after practice on Aug. 25 to address the suspension, Carroo told reporters after practice that he would put the first suspension of his collegiate career behind him.

"From now on, I'll just have better decisions in my life and continue to do good and show my teammates and the University that I still do have those good traits and those good characteristics,” he said.

While further details remain to be seen, the investigation regarding Carroo is the third relating to the Rutgers football team in the past month.

Flood has been under investigation since Aug. 25 for alleged impermissible contact with a University faculty member regarding the academic eligibility of former junior cornerback Nadir Barnwell, as first reported by NJ Advance Media.

Then, five players were arrested on Sept. 3. Andre Boggs, Razohnn Gross, Ruhann Peele, Delon Stephenson and Barnwell were all detained on charges ranging from alleged home invasions to assault. The program announced the dismissal of all five from the program 10 minutes before the first game of the season kicked off.

Lloyd Terry, 20, a sophomore fullback, was dismissed from the team following his arrest on Sept. 10 in connection to a series of home invasions involving Boggs and former defensive back Tejay Johnson.

Another former Rutgers football player, Jamil Pollard, 21, was also arrested on Monday for his alleged role in the home invasions with Terry.

Middlesex County Prosecutor Andrew C. Carey and New Brunswick Police Department Director Anthony A. Caputo told NJ Advance Media that Pollard and Terry were charged with robbery, conspiracy to commit robbery and burglary.

Associate Athletic Director of Communications Hasim Phillips sent out an email of a revised availability schedule to all members of the media at 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday. Flood and select players are no longer available after practice on Wednesday and Flood is no longer available after practice on Thursday.


Garrett Stepien

Comments powered by Disqus

Please note All comments are eligible for publication in The Daily Targum.