Grease Trucks Still Around On Rutgers Campus Despite Mc.’s Truck Sale

front_grease_trucks_file_photo_nov_2013

RU Hungry, formerly located on Douglass campus, has taken over the space Mr. C's used to occupy, at 159 College Ave. Mr. C's, a grease truck that sat on school grounds for nearly three decades, vacated the premises and Mohamed Garaibeh, the owner of Mr. C's, sold the Mr. C's truck for $40,000 on Craigslist over the summer. 

The famous Mr. C’s Truck caught attention over the summer, when people spotted it for sale on Craigslist by its owner. But don't worry — you can still get a late night Fat Darrell right by Alexander Library.

A New Brunswick Today article came out on August 1 detailing the sale of the Mr. C’s grease truck, beloved by generations of Rutgers students for nearly three decades.

An oil spill at Mr. C’s truck in 2013 was the last straw that led to the sale on Craigslist, according to New Brunswick Today. Rutgers has since broken ties with the truck, and the truck vacated its spot on Senior Street.

“Oil (spilled) on the street and they told me you cannot operate anymore on Rutgers property ... They terminated our license, they screwed us big time,” said Mohamed Garaibeh, owner of "Mr. C's: Home of the Fat Sandwiches."

Garaibeh is asking $40,000 for the truck. 

Rutgers students' stomachs didn’t cease to run on fat sandwiches even after Mr. C's left Rutgers property. RU Hungry has since leased the spot on 159 College Ave., where Mr. C’s Truck used to be, according to Abdo Elfeiki, the current owner of RU Hungry. 

Elfeiki has worked in the grease truck business on Rutgers campus for 18 years and became the owner in 2003.

Together with Mr. C’s Truck and other grease trucks, RU Hungry settled down in Parking Lot 8 as their permanent home, before making way for the College Avenue Redevelopment Program construction site, Elfeiki said.

RU Hungry was operating on Douglass campus before moving back to College Ave., a more desired spot for business. 

“This (current) location is better than Douglass campus, because it is open to people outside of Rutgers,” Elfeiki said.

Still, the heydays of Rutgers grease trucks are gone. 

“The sales are nothing like back in the days on 40 College Ave. (Parking Lot 8),” Elfeiki said.

Nancy Wang, a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore, said that even though not everyone is a fan of the fat sandwiches, the grease trucks play a part in University culture.

By next year, RU Hungry expects to open up their first “brick and mortar store” back on the newly constructed building on 40 College Ave., Elfeiki said.

For the upcoming semester,  Elfeiki is certain that Rutgers students will still be able to get fat sandwiches from the truck. RU Hungry plans to upgrade the menu.

Weini Zhang