Week in Review: Laurels and Darts | Sept. 18, 2015

laurels_and_darts

SUPREME SONIA

This year, the Eagleton Institute of Politics is celebrating their 60-year anniversary. Because of the event, Supreme Court Associate Justice Sonia Sotomayor is set to speak on campus in April. She is the third woman appointed to the court and the first Hispanic to ever be appointed. Sotomayor will be speaking as part of the Louis J. Gambaccini Civic Engagement Series. This laurel is for Eagleton, for making sure that Rutgers is always at the forefront of politics and for bringing Sotomayor to campus.

THE FLOODGATES ARE OPEN

Since the start of the semester, the Rutgers football team has been making headlines for all the wrong reasons. So, by now you know that head coach Kyle Flood has been suspended for three games and is facing a $50,000 fine for impermissible contact with a professor. Coupled with the suspension of a few players and the impending Penn State game, the fate of the team is unknown. Either way, this dart is for you Flood. If you want your players to be better, then you have to be too.

BANISH BULLIES

At first-year student convocation, Rutgers faculty and incoming students took a pledge to combat bullying. Almost five years after the death of Rutgers student Tyler Clementi, members of the University taking the “Day 1” pledge to prevent bullying is far more than a symbolic gesture. This laurel is for all those who took the “Day 1” pledge. Your actions to prevent bullying and harassment will help make Rutgers a safer place. 

PERSISTANT PERFORMERS

Last Saturday, New Brunswick punk bands joined forces to perform a free show as part of the "Hub City Sounds" festival series at Boyd Park. The event featured bands like Electric Trip, which is comprised of New Brunswick High School students, to Screaming Females, who just wrapped up a national tour. In an interview with Inside Beat, Screaming Females guitarist Marissa Paternoster denounced city policymakers for prioritizing what is profitable over what is needed by city residents. This dart is for the City of New Brunswick for not providing adequate, all-ages community venues where city musicians can perform.

FAST-LANE FRIENDS

More than 50 students attended the kick-off for the International Friendship Program. Hosted by the Rutgers Center for Global Services, the event was a play on speed dating, and involved rounds of “speed friending” designed to bridge culture gaps and facilitate language exchanges. This laurel is for the Center for Global Services — bringing students together at such a big school is always commendable.

TROUBLING TACOS

“Criminals and Tacos” is a new restaurant set to open up in New Brunswick on Easton Avenue across from Hidden Grounds. Los Angeles and San Diego-based chef Andrew Schiff is opening the restaurant, claiming that it will be “unlike anything the city has seen before." Yet such a statement is completely inaccurate and discredits many restaurants in New Brunswick. This dart is for the chef — look around New Brunswick and you’ll easily find authentic Mexican and Hispanic food.