Week in Review: Laurels and Darts | Sept. 25, 2015

laurels_and_darts

SCARLET SERVICE

Last weekend, over a thousand Rutgers students took part in the annual Scarlet Day of Service, organized by Rutgers University Programming Association (RUPA) and Rutgers Student Affairs. Students took to New Brunswick and other neighborhoods surrounding campus to make a difference for a day. Some students cleaned up outdoor spaces while others worked with children and the elderly. We laurel everyone who participated in this day of community service.

OPINIONS OOPSIES

This week you may have noticed a snafu with the opinions section. On Monday and Tuesday of this week, the same opinions page ran. We know, we know — how could this happen? It’s hard to explain but we’re students and we make mistakes. We as an editorial board are working to make sure nothing like this ever happens again. So this one’s on us, everyone, we’ll take the dart for messing up.

NATIVE AMERICAN APPRECIATION

Native Americans are often neglected when it comes to discussing minorities, but Keith Ross, the director of the Native American Welcome Center, is working to change that. While the Native American Cultural Center was terminated in 2006, Ross revived it in January of this year. Starting this month, the center will be inviting guest speakers and attending nearby powwows. This laurel is for Ross and all those involved in making the presence of Native Americans known on campus.

EGREGIOUS EMAIL

A student at Rutgers University—Newark sent an email to her teacher, requesting to be excused from class on Eid al-Adha, a major Muslim holiday. The response she got was nothing short of callous and unwarranted. He asked her to bring in a note, which is not required by University policy and went on to explain that through doing math, she would be worshiping God. While his identity remains anonymous, this dart is for the professor and his insensitive email.

GRADUATION GIFTS

U.S. salaries are expected to increase by 4.1 percent, which may be a good thing for the Class of 2016. The information came as part of a report by Robert Half International, a staffing agency that compiles salary data. After years of being told that getting a job after college will be impossible, this year's graduates may have a little something to be excited about. This laurel goes out to expected salary increases — can’t wait to see you.

INCENTIVE INTERNSHIP

At this point, getting a job after college with no internship or work experience is nearly impossible. But with the majority of internships extending unpaid opportunities to college students, gaining experience becomes more difficult. A 2011 survey found that while 52 percent of students completed an internship during college, only 52 percent of them were paid. Unpaid internships make it harder for students who commute or have financial struggles to gain necessary experiences. This dart goes out to unpaid internships.