October 22, 2018 | ° F

Removing processed food items from diet will help weight loss

I wanted to share with you a new Facebook group that I started as a part of a colloquium class that I took with Dr. Julie Fagan this summer. Many people are unhappy that they’re overweight, and they may have even been told by a medical professional to lose weight. As you might have experienced, it’s not that easy to lose weight. Counting calories, sodium, carbs and fat makes eating a chore and takes the pleasure out of eating. We have an easy solution. Just eliminate processed foods and beverages from your diet and you’ll feel better and the pounds will seemingly melt away without effort. Processed foods and beverages are thought to be largely responsible for our well-known obesity epidemic. Additionally, consuming processed foods can result in significant increases in blood pressure and may influence incidences of diabetes, cancer and heart disease. If you convert to eating only unprocessed foods, you will no longer need to count calories or look at fat and carb content, as unprocessed foods are naturally lower in sodium, calories, carbs and fat.

Start your switch to completely eating unprocessed foods today by joining in on the Unprocessed Food Challenge on Facebook and Instagram. By joining this community, you will be able to learn from others that have been eating unprocessed foods both for a long time, as well as individuals that have recently made the switch. Learn how others have had the ability to overcome obstacles associated with cravings for processed foods. In addition to sharing tips and secrets, discover delicious meals that you can prepare and upload pics of the sumptuous meals that you’ve prepared yourself. Upload pics of your grocery cart with fresh fruits and veggies and meats, poultry and even dairy. Even place a wager with another “Unprocessed Food Challenge friend” to motivate you to reach your weight loss goal. For more information, "like" our Unprocessed Food Challenge Facebook page and follow the hashtag #UnprocessedFoodChallenge.

Ruben Moreno is a School of Environmental and Biological Sciences senior majoring in exercise science and sports studies with a minor in economics

Ruben Moreno