Rutgers Board of Governors holds emergency meeting on Friday to discuss athletics controversy

front_governors_logan
Photo by Luo Zhengchen |

The Rutgers Board of Governors called for an emergency meeting on Friday, Sept. 11 to discuss the controversies encircling the University football team in recent weeks. The event, which was closed off to the press, fostered “robust conversation,” said Rutgers President Robert L. Barchi. LUO ZHENGCHEN / STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER / SEPTEMBER 2015

The Rutgers University Board of Governors met on Friday in an emergency session to discuss the recent controversies surrounding the Scarlet Knights football team.

Three members of the board attended the meeting in person, while the remaining members teleconferenced in, according to NJ.com.

After convening, the board immediately voted to enter a closed session and leave the public area, said Carl Blesch, science coordinator University News and Media Relations.

Board members would not speak publicly after the session ended, Blesch said.

The meeting was announced on Wednesday due to the fact that the entire board would be discussing the issue, he said. The University is not required to disclose meetings between only a few members of the board.

According to the initial notice by the University, the topics discussed included potential litigation in addition to the athletics issues.

Rutgers head football coach Kyle Flood said he knew of the meeting but not of what would be discussed after practice Thursday, according to the Asbury Park Press.

University President Robert L. Barchi said the board had a “robust conversation” after the meeting ended. He did not elaborate on the topics discussed, citing attorney-client privileges.

The discussion lasted about an hour and a half, according to NJ.com. Martin Perez, a member of the board present at the meeting, said it was “productive” and involved “serious issues."

The meeting was announced sometime after the New Jersey branch of the American Association of University Professors-American Federation of Teachers (AAUP-AFT) formally requested an investigation into Flood’s alleged email to a faculty member concerning a student athlete’s grade.

It is important that faculty members, including part-time lecturers, remain independent of potential interference from Rutgers Athletics, said David Hughes, a professor in the Department of Anthropology.

Nikhilesh De