Blind eye turned to Carroo’s violation of U. code of conduct

Letter to the Editor

If the average Rutgers student was to be accused of plagiarizing a paper for a class, he or she would be subjected to Rutgers’ plagiarism policy: “They could be suspended from the University for a minimum of one semester with the notation of ‘academic disciplinary suspension’ permanently placed on their transcript, not to mention failing the class and having to start all over again.” A University investigation of the student would take place and if found guilty, said student would face the consequences.

However the University has far more policies than this. If you go to Rutgers’ new webpage on ending sexual violence and select the “Prevention and Education” page you will find these two sentences: “Rutgers University is a leader in prevention and education methods for sexual violence. Please get involved and be part of the revolution to end sexual violence.” Each titled tab on the site offers a sentence or two and not much more. Hidden deep within the “Policies and Key Terms” tab is an option to view federal laws. It includes Title IX information and Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) information. It states explicitly that the VAWA, “established federal legal definitions of domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, and stalking.” After following links to a document containing Rutgers' Student Code of Conduct policy prohibiting the aforementioned offenses, one can see that Rutgers itself defines relationship violence as, “Any act of physical, sexual, and/or psychological harm against an individual by a current or former intimate or romantic partner ...”

Recent events have left the Scarlet Knights down a star-receiver on the football field after an altercation involving player Leonte Carroo, his mother, girlfriend and ex-romantic partner. Carroo has been accused of slamming his ex- romantic partner against the concrete ground during the altercation. He was officially charged with simple assault under domestic violence.

Just like the average plagiarizer, Carroo, although viewed by some fanatics, municipal judges and Rutgers administrators as some type of demi-god, should be subjected to the University’s Student Code of Conduct policy and its consequences, including warning, reprimand, disciplinary probation, restrictive probation, disciplinary suspension, expulsion or dismissal.

I ask readers this: As of Oct. 7, legal charges against Carroo have been dropped, but how can football coach Kyle Flood (who himself is currently suspended for unrelated reasons) reinstate Carroo under the University's current “Not Anymore: The Revolution Starts Here” crusade against sexual violence, without further University investigation into Carroo’s actions on the night of Sept. 12?

I’m not sure there is an answer. But I am sure that come Saturday, up to 52,454 cheering fans will pack into High Point Solutions Stadium to cheer on their demi-god Carroo, maybe Felicia McGinty will watch from the comfort of her living room, Kyle Flood, at home, will high-five his son each time Carroo receives another pass and all those who fight every day to end sexual violence on our college campus will take a deep breath and hope that one day our administration will finally take us seriously.

Aven LaRosa is a School of Arts and Sciences junior majoring in anthropology and French. She is a member of the Douglass Residential College. 

Aven La Rosa