Family, friends, colleagues mourn death of School of Social Work professor

front_goldberg_socialworkrutgersedu
Photo by Nick Romanenko |

Associate director of the center for nonprofit management and governance Bertram Goldberg.

Bertram Goldberg, an associate professor of Professional Practice in the School of Social Work and the executive director of the Center for Leadership and Management, died on the morning of Oct. 9 after struggling with an illness, said School of Social Work Dean Cathryn Potter in an email to The Daily Targum.

“Bert Goldberg was a beloved colleague,” Potter said. “He was instrumental in organizing the School’s Study Abroad Trip to Israel and was truly committed to preparing the next generation of social workers to serve the citizens of New Jersey.”

Goldberg, of Marlboro, was a father to four children and grandfather to 10, according to his staff page on the Rutgers School of Social Work website. He worked in several leadership positions starting from 1986 as president of the Association of Jewish Family & Children’s Agencies, an umbrella organization that serves programs around the world, and maintained the position for 23 years before obtaining the position of vice president at The Network for Social Work Management for three years, according to his LinkedIn profile.

He took his first position at the University as the associate director and lecturer at the Center for Nonprofit Management and Governance starting in January 2009, according to LinkedIn.

During the next three years, he took on the position of lecturer and and special events fund raiser at the School of Social Work beginning in 2012, according to LinkedIn, then ascended to higher ranks within the School of Social Work.

Prior to starting his professional career in social work, Goldberg attended the University of Washington for two years and then Fairleigh Dickinson University for his bachelor’s degree in psychology, according to LinkedIn.

He went on to study at the University of Pennsylvania School of Social Policy and Practice for his Master of Social Work from 1964 to 1966 and obtained his certificate in the Management of Nonprofit Organizations from New York University’s Wagner School of Public Policy from 1987 to 1988, according to LinkedIn.

“He was committed to preparing social workers to lead organizations, and indeed he served as a leader among his fellow faculty members, always a kind and wise advisor, a keen observer of human nature and a strategic advisor to the Dean,” Potter said. “He was a true social worker, and we have been honored to work with him.”

Katie Park