February 23, 2019 | 43° F

Week in Review: Laurels and Darts | Oct. 2, 2015

laurels_and_darts

FIGHT ISN'T OVER

Part-time lectures only make $4,800 per course taught, a figure that pales in comparison to what many professors make. On Monday, the Rutgers Council of AAUP-AFT Chapters met on Busch campus for a protest, to continue calling attention to their cause. University part-time lecturers are bargaining for respect from the administration, as well as improved contracts and benefits. This laurel is for all University part-time lecturers, stay the course for what you believe is right.

DDoS: THE SAGA CONTINUES

It happened again. And if you were awake around 1 a.m. on Thursday, it seems like a Disrupted Denial of Service, or DDoS attack, happened twice even though it recently occurred only once. The actual attack took place on Monday and was the first confirmed this semester, and the fifth since Fall 2014. This year’s tuition was raised partially so the University could raise $3 million to hire three companies to prevent such attacks, but clearly something still went wrong. This dart goes out to the cyber security vendors for failing to do their jobs.

EAT TO BEAT

Held this past weekend, the “Eat to Beat: Drug Addiction" fundraiser was created by Ryan Morris, a Rutgers Business School senior. For three days, local restaurants Brother Jimmy’s BBQ, The Sushi Room, Thomas Sweet and Papa Grande Grille participated in the event. Each vendor donated a portion of sales to Steered Straight Inc., a non-profit dedicated to providing programs to educate more people about drug and alcohol abuse. This laurel is for Morris and the participating businesses for working to calling attention to the reality of drug addiction.

RECKLESS RUSA

Allie Williams, a student assembly member and School of Arts and Sciences junior, proposed a bill to create a permanent Rutgers University Student Assembly committee on sexual assault. But the bill was later changed to instead create an ad hoc, or temporary committee instead. Even so, the measure still failed, with 14 voting "yes," 8 voting "no" and 9 abstentions. This dart is for RUSA, for failing to look out for sexual assault survivors and potential victims on campus.

PINK OUT FOR PP

On Tuesday, Rutgers students showed their support for Planned Parenthood by wearing pink as a day of visibility. The non-profit is currently facing threats of losing federal government funding. RU Choice: Vox, is the student organization that brought the event to the University. They handed out information about sex, sex education and other topics to help educate students. This laurel is for the politically active students who showed their support for Planned Parenthood.

DIGITAL DAILY NEWS

Sixty-one percent of millennials get their political news from Facebook. This information came from a Pew Research Center study and helped prove that students and millennials are relying less on traditional news sources and more on digital media outlets. While Facebook and Twitter can be good starting points, these outlets probably aren't as reputable as top newspapers, radios and TV news. This dart is for students who rely solely on social media to get their news.