Week in Review: Laurels and Darts | Oct. 23, 2015

laurels_and_darts

METER MANDATES MORE MINUTES

Parking is always terrible in New Brunswick, that’s no surprise. But since the start of September, New Brunswick has made numerous changes to parking rules around George Street. Meters are now in effect on Saturdays, and instead of ending at 6 p.m., they end at 8 p.m. While the rules are new, meter maids are still issuing tickets just a few minutes past a meter’s expiration date. This dart goes out to the New Brunswick Parking Authority, please, just stop changing the rules.

BON VOYAGE DON

He called us Gentlepeople, and we loved it. Vice President for Information Technology and Chief Information Officer (CIO) Donald Smith, more popularly known as Don Smith, is readying to leave Rutgers after over 25 years of service. Smith became a class and dorm room name after waves of DDoS attacks that started last fall. Through out the attacks it’s clear that Smith and his team worked tirelessly to solve the problem. This laurel is for you Don Smith.

RU APPLICATION RENOVATION

At the start of the week, the Rutgers app received a much-needed facelift. The new interface is much easier to navigate when trying to find bus times and see what's on the menu at the dining hall. While the student news portion of the app no longer includes The Daily Targum, it's still a useful resource. This laurel is for the updated version of the Rutgers app.

ATHLETIC ARCHITECTURE

This Saturday, a groundbreaking ceremony for a new indoor practice facility will be held. It will be called, the Fred Hill Training Complex and will become a space for Rutgers sports teams, most notably the baseball and softball teams. The facility will be located near Hospital Road on the Livingston campus. This laurel is for the creation of the new facility — every Rutgers sports team needs a little love.

CRAZY COLLEGE COSTS

A few decades ago, students were able to be pay for college as part-time workers who juggled their academics. Today, students must work full-time and earn considerably more than the New Jersey $8.38 minimum wage in order completely pay off their tuition. This trend only illustrates the palpably dismal conditions students are in, so this dart goes out to the exorbitant costs crippling college students and contributing to the formidable $1.2 trillion debt they face in America.

ANXIETY ATTACK

The bar to simply get by, let alone succeed, has been raised for the millennial generation. A survey conducted by the Anxiety Disorder Association of America indicates that anxiety among students is at an all time high, equivalent to the level of stress faced by the average psychiatric patient in the 1950s. We dart the unrealistic expectations shouldered by today’s students that compromises their mental health.