Rutgers junior makes every minute count

online_regn_ruoxuan
Photo by Ruoxuan Yang |

Junior forward Sarah Regn makes the most of every opportunity she gets to come off the bench for Rutgers. She scored the game-winning goal against American on Oct. 23.

No moment on the field can be taken for granted.

With highly commoditized opportunities to continue pursuing an athletic career after high school, there is no room for complacency — athletes must continuously fight to take advantage of every fleeting moment they have to make a difference.

When the Rutgers field hockey team needed the outcomes the most, junior forward Sarah Regn delivered.

In venturing down to Washington, D.C., to take on American last Friday, the Scarlet Knights entered the contest with a bleeding wound. Rutgers rode a four-game losing skid and had dropped seven of its last eight matchups.

After coming back from a 1-0 deficit and tying up the game, the Knights saw their chance at a late-season turning point hanging in the balance.

When Regn collected the rebound off a penalty corner play and knocked the ball into the cage, she seized the opportunity to get her team back in the win column.

The triumph marks an crucial change of pace for Rutgers as the team looks to finish the season on a positive note.  

"I think everyone’s just really excited to hit this turning point and get the win," said redshirt junior and team captain Alyssa Bull. “Going into this last weekend of play, I think we’re all just really excited and hoping to come out with two wins so that we can have a tying season.”

In tallying the game-winning goal against the Eagles, Regn notched her first goal since her freshman campaign against Lafayette.

But Regn has been no stranger to the field since that late-September game two years ago.

So far in her career on the Banks, the Shamong, New Jersey, native has seen action in 46 total games.

During her debut season as a Knight, Regn appeared in 17 games, netting two goals for Rutgers. She took the field in 13 games off the bench in her sophomore year and has seen action in all 16 games this fall.

Each time Regn is called upon, her performance is fueled by a mindset focused on making the minutes count.

“Just pretty much fighting for every single second that I have because it is a blessing and a privilege to play and be a part of a Division I program,” Regn said of her mental approach in games. “Sometimes I feel like some people forget where they came from and I think it’s really important just to be happy and live for every moment and every chance that you get because you don’t know when you’ll get another one.”

With Regn, passion for field hockey runs in the family.

Regn has taken a path similar to that of her mother. A former Big Ten field hockey player herself, Ellen Regn’s athletic career has been a great source of inspiration for her daughter, playing a major role in propelling her toward success.

“My mom has definitely always been my role model," Regn said. "You know, she played at University of Iowa, she was an All-American, she played on the Olympic team in the 1980s — she was literally a rock star in every state, means and form.”

With a parent who has reached such remarkable success in the sport, many would worry that the parent's children would face immense stress to live up to the legacy their parent left behind.

But Regn faced no such pressure.

“The cool thing about her was she never really forced field hockey upon me,” Regn said. “I played lacrosse, winter track and softball growing up. But field hockey was always something a part of me and I think just her endless support of who I am as a person just kind of made me choose field hockey and that was just the natural decision. My parents are both the best support system I could ever ask for.”

Regn recognizes the role she plays on the field with her teammates and tackles the challenge with a keen enthusiasm.

Through every appearance, she strives to bring a fiery surge of vitality to her team and reinforce a poised dynamic.

“My biggest thing is just keeping composure and bringing in that extra energy that we need,” Regn said. “So when I come in off the bench, I’m usually the one who’s just going a hundred thousand miles an hour against our opponents and I think that’s really critical … Fresh legs are so important in winning a game and staying composed on attack against your opponent.”

Regn’s contributions to her team go beyond the 70 minutes of match play.

Head coach Meredith Civico said the forward reinforces a positive, dedicated dynamic day-in and day-out.

“She’s such a pleasure to coach. She’s just an incredibly positive, hardworking player,” Civico said. “She’s just the kind of player you want on your team, the kind of person you want on your team.”

The fourth-year head coach sees Regn’s game-winner against American as a testament to the work she has consistently been putting in during training.

“She’s been working so hard individually on a variety of different skills and different receptions,” Civico said. “To see her have success in the game on Friday was just really great because she’s a player who comes every single day to training and she works hard and she’s always got a smile on her face and she’s so coachable so it’s really fun.”

For updates on the Rutgers field hockey team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Kaylee Pofahl