Rutgers senior established as world's youngest magazine publisher

Savannah Britt may be a senior at the University, but she is definitely not an average college student. 

To date, she established herself as the world’s youngest magazine publisher, and now, with a reputable public relations firm under her belt, she is well on her way to what promises to be a successful career.

Britt, a School of Arts and Sciences senior, draws inspiration from a number of places, including her magazine readership, other publicists she has worked with over the years and her own personal drive to empower young girls.

Of course, most students start from humble beginnings. For Britt, that was taking on her first paid job as a children’s book reviewer for the Kitchen Table News before even turning 10 years old. After the newspaper folded, she started her own public relations firm, GP & Britt Public Relations. 

“It was a very big African-American outlet in the greater Mercer County area,” Britt said. “Eventually, the newspaper folded and I was left unemployed at the tender age of nine, and I decided to go on and start my own publication.”

At age 13, Britt received a letter from the Teen Vogue Editor-in-Chief Amy Astley, personally congratulating her on her success.

“I was constantly (visiting) the Teen Vogue offices, but I’m not working with her currently,” she said.

Starting her own PR company was a natural and organic progression, Britt said.

“I’ve always had to do PR for my magazine because I served as my own publicist, whether that meant garnering ad space or securing an interview,” she said. “Around 17, I started doing fashion styling for different celebrity clients that I had developed relationships with over the years.”

Her first major styling client was Milyn “Mimi” Jensen from "Bad Girls Club," she said. From there, she started working with a dancer from "America’s Best Dance Crew," and her styling gigs soon gave way to a more comprehensive public relations business with her clients.

Britt now lauds a multitude of celebrity clients from all parts of the entertainment industry. Most recently, she has worked with the likes of Smoke DZA, Fat Joe, Cassidy, Scott Scotch and Ryan Leslie.

Striking a balance between continually expanding her PR firm and maintaining a regular school life can be challenging. 

Britt, a double major in Communication and Political Science, said juggling everything can be a challenge, though she is able to build a schedule to accommodate her work. 

"I’ve always been able to finagle it so that I can dash to New York if I need to or I can hop on a plane on Friday and be back for Monday classes," she said.

The artist she most recently signed is singer and YouTuber Natasha Fisher, who Britt came across while scouting talent on YouTube.

“I’ve been doing PR for different celebrities over the past couple of years, so why not manage an artist?" she asked. "I definitely have the connections and the skill set to do something like that, so I took a risk and signed her on. We’re working behind the scenes on curating some dope content.”

Upon graduation later this academic year, Britt said she hopes to be able to dedicate a larger chunk of her time toward expanding her business and securing more management clients. 

“More free time means really expanding my firm and having a full roster of clients,” she said. “I have a lot of people reach out to me, but I simply don’t have the time."

Britt said some of the bigger moments in her career admittedly was working with a young woman with an eating disorder who contacted her. 

"She reached out to me and wrote a letter about how one of the articles in my publication really touched her and was relatable to her," Britt said.

Eliciting such a strong, positive response in a reader made Britt realize that her work is affecting people, and having someone disclose a personal experience as a result of her magazine gave her a sense of purpose.

More recently, though, she said her biggest standout moment in the public relations realm was securing a placement for Smoke DZA with Forbes magazine. 

“Research what you are doing and find the top people in your field,” she said. “It’s about utilizing the six degrees of separation and getting in contact with the people in your field. With the age of the Internet and media, it is easier (than ever) to get in contact with people.”

Francesca Falzon