Rutgers wraps fall season with finish for 6th place at host tournament

online_millslogan
Photo by Luo Zhengchen |

On a day where Rutgers honored its seniors, it was sophomore Emily Mills who finished best for the Knights in 15th place. As a team, Rutgers finished in sixth place.

Saying goodbye is usually not an easy thing to do.

On Saturday, the Rutgers women’s golf team honored its senior class at the Rutgers University Golf Course after the conclusion of the Rutgers Invitational. 

Seniors Samantha Moyal, Jacquelyn Mullens, Christina Paulsen, Gabrielle Sacheli and co-captain Racquel Zurick all gathered for a picture with head coach Kari Williams and were serenaded by kind words from co-captain sophomore Emily Mills during a brief speech she gave to her senior teammates.

“To see my seniors play their last Rutgers Invitational is both good and bad, because you know they’re leaving you,” Williams said. “But you also know that they’re going on to great, bigger and better things and that they’ve really done a lot to help us build this program and be competitive at every event we go to so it’s bittersweet.”

The Rutgers Invitational, a two-day, three-round tournament hosted by the Scarlet Knights, was played at the Rutgers University Golf Course. 

Ten schools participated in the event. Because the Knights played host to the invitational, they were able to put two teams in the field — the Rutgers A-Team (Scarlet Team) and the Rutgers B-Team (White Team).

The Scarlet Team consisted of Mills, Sacheli, freshman Astrid Aneman Paulsen and sophomore Tatum Jackson. Zurick, Mullens, Moyal and junior Madelin Gedeon comprised the White Team. 

All nine members of the women’s golf team saw playing time at the Rutgers Invitational and all five seniors were able to compete on senior day.

The Scarlet Team secured a sixth-place finish on Saturday with a plus-85, 949 team total. The Knights shot a 325 in the first round, followed by a 306 in round two and a 318 in the third round.

Mills put together the best scorecard for the Scarlet Team, finishing in 15th place in the standings. The Colts Neck, New Jersey, native had a plus-11, 82 in round one, a three over par, 74 in the second round and a eight over par, 79 in the final round for a 235 mark at the event.

Sacheli and Aneman each picked up ties for 16th place in the field with scores of 236. Sacheli, a Pittsford, New York, native, hit a 13 over par, 84 in round one, a plus-one 72 in the second round and a plus-nine, 80 in the third round in her last Rutgers Invitational.

In her first Rutgers Invitational, Aneman played some good golf. She put up a plus-five, 76 in the opening round, a plus-six, 77 in round two and a twelve over par, 83 in the third round.

Paulsen had plus-11, 83’s in rounds one and two with an eight over par, 79 in the third round to finish in tied for 37th place by scoring a 245.

Jackson hit 85’s rounds one and two of the event and shot an 80 in the third round for a 250 total mark. The Mountain Brook, Alabama, native captured a tie for 45th place in the standings.

On a brisk and breezy afternoon in Piscataway, the golfers had to battle the elements. The windy gusts can really change the trajectory of the golf ball as it glides through the air.

“Everybody has to play in it,” Williams said. “The wind made the course tough, it made it tough for everyone ... the scores are a little higher than we wanted them to be. I don’t know how much of that was wind … But, definitely, it affected us.”

The White Team finished in eighth place at the conclusion of the tournament. The golfers shot a round one, 325, a second round, 313 and a third round, 322 for a plus-96, 960 score.

Zurick led not only the White team in scoring but her entire squad as well. 

The native of West Trenton, New Jersey, finished in a tie for seventh place in the field of 58 players with a 231 scorecard. She had seven over par, 78 in round one, a plus-eight, 79 in the second round and a plus-three, 74 in the third round on Saturday.

Reality struck the co-captian midway through the Rutgers Invitational that this would be her final event at her home course.

“Honestly, I feel like I hit the realization on about hole nine of (Saturday),” Zurick said. “It’s different being at your home tournament and knowing that this is like the last round that’s really gonna count, really gonna be a big impact here and yeah, I just wanted to go out with a bang and have fun with it. It was sad honestly. I was a little sad.”

Mullens earned 11th place in the standings with a 232 score. She hit an 81, a 71 and 73, respectively, in the three rounds of competition. Gedeon secured a tie for 50th in the field with an 84, an 81 and an 88 for a total mark of 253.

Moyal shot an 82 in the first round followed by a 78 and an 84 in rounds two and three.

“It’s been great,” said Moyal on her time at Rutgers. “Into my fourth year, a lot of ups and downs. As freshman coming in, our seniors told us they can’t believe how fast the time went and I didn’t believe them. Until this round, after I walked off the last hole, I was like 'wow, they were right.'”

For updates on the Rutgers women’s golf team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Evan Bruno