Senior wide out reinstated for Rutgers

back_carroo_michelle
Photo by Michelle Klejmont |

The indefinite suspension of senior wide receiver Leonte Carroo was lifted by head coach Kyle Flood on Tuesday. Carroo leads the team in receiving yards (181) despite playing in only two games.

Head coach Kyle Flood has reinstated senior wide receiver Leonte Carroo, according to an emailed statement from Rutgers Athletics on Wednesday afternoon.

Flood, who has been unavailable to the media during his three-game suspension, lifted the indefinite suspension implemented after Carroo stood accused of simple assault under domestic violence.

“Rutgers head football coach Kyle Flood has reinstated senior wide receiver Leonte Carroo to the football program, it was announced today,” the statement said. “Flood reinstated Carroo after the student-athlete agreed to the conditions of his reinstatement and after he accepted the responsibility that comes with his return to the team.”

Six reporters waited post-practice with video cameras. A few others held out their recorders. The media formed a half-circle awaiting an announcement on the status of suspended wide receiver Leonte Carroo so that they could relay it to the public.

But acting head coach Norries Wilson made no such announcement. He did foreshadow a statement would be made later in the day — one that came 45 minutes later.

“No,” Wilson said post-practice when asked if Carroo was around the team Wednesday morning. “There will be a statement on Leonte’s status that will be put out later today. Depending on his status, we will have to see where he is at. Depending on that, we can see if he can practice. I have no further comment on Mr. Carroo.”

Carroo was charged with simple assault under domestic violence after he allegedly slammed a woman to the concrete on Sept. 12 after the 37-34 loss to Washington State.

The Piscataway Municipal Court dropped the charges of Carroo on Tuesday. Tom Lanza, Piscataway Township senior prosecutor, said the state was no longer interested in pursuing the case, matching the desires of the Plaintiff.

“(The plaintiff) is doing this on her own free will and wishes that this matter be put behind her and Mr. Carroo,” Lanza said in the Piscataway courtroom Oct. 6.

Carroo’s status for the game Saturday against Michigan State remains uncertain. Carroo missed the games against Penn State and Kansas, while also sitting out the first half of the season-opener against Norfolk State for an unrelated violation of team rules when he broke curfew in August.

A 2015 season captain, Carroo became Rutgers’ all-time receiving touchdowns leader with 22 after scoring three touchdowns in the second half against Norfolk State.

Support for Carroo never wavered with teammates during the now finished legal process. Senior defensive tackle Darius Hamilton voiced support for Carroo earlier this season.

Hamilton said he never doubted Carroo’s return to the team. It turns out, Hamilton was correct in his way of thinking.

“Yes — as we all are,” Hamilton said earlier this season when asked if Leonte Carroo was operating under the assumption that he would return to Rutgers football. “(Carroo) is my brother. I love him and whenever he returns, he’s going to be ready to play — I know that for a fact.”

For updates on the Rutgers football team, follow @TylerKaralewich and @TargumSports on Twitter.

Tyler Karalewich