Rutgers student arrested for second time on assault charges

The Scarlet Knights suffered their first major loss off the field in September when several of the players were arrested for various assault and home invasion charges. Most of them were released on bail, including Ruhann Peele.

On Oct. 20, Peele, a School of Arts and Sciences senior, was arrested for the second time within two months for allegedly punching a student in the face early this October, according to nj.com.

He was suspended from the University and removed from the football team in September after his first arrest for participating in the assault of one student and three other victims last April, according to a previous article in The Daily Targum.

At the time he played cornerback on the Scarlet Knights, having changed his position from wide receiver last spring.

The New Brunswick Police Department arrested the players after a month-long investigation into the assault, during which witnesses to the assault said the attackers knocked their victims to the ground and continued kicking them.

Several other students were also arrested for their participation in a series of home invasions, including former cornerback Andre Boggs, one of the other student-athletes accused of the assault.

The University student involved in the incident suffered a broken jaw and was hospitalized.

Peele is accused of fracturing a bone in his victim’s face during the October assault, which was reported to students through an Off-Campus Crime Alert.

“The victim ... reported that he was struck once in the face with a closed fist,” according to the crime alert. “The perpetrator then fled the area and the victim was transported to a local area hospital where he was treated for a non-life threatening injury.”

At the time the assailant’s name was unknown.

The attack was linked to Peele, said J.T. Miller, Captain of the New Brunswick Police Department to nj.com. He was arrested in Piscataway, although the attack took place at the intersection of Easton Avenue and Mine Street off of the College Avenue campus.

This arrest came days before a bail-reduction hearing for another of the former players, Tejay Johnson, during which a video of the April attack was described as "almost barbaric" by Judge Dennis Nieves.

Johnson remains the only player in custody after being unable to post bail.

Along with the other four team members arrested in September, Peele was suspended indefinitely from the team before being formally removed from the team a few minutes before the first game of the season.

Some of the players involved, Nadir Barnwell, Andre Boggs, Razohnn Gross and Delon Stephenson, were supposed to start for the team, while others were high on the list of backups.

In August 2014 Peele was also charged with assault after allegedly “pulling a woman’s hair and scratching her face,” according to nj.com. These charges were dropped in early December 2014.

During this time he was suspended from the team.

New Brunswick police are still investigating the assault, said E.J. Miranda, University spokesperson, in an email. Rutgers did not comment on ongoing investigations.

Peele is currently released from custody.

Nikhilesh De