Terrorist attacks in Paris kill 129, injure 352 people

front_paris_reuters
Photo by SUZANNE PLUNKETT |

Tributes and flowers surround a fountain in remembrance of the victims of the Paris attacks, at Trafalgar Square in London, Britain November 15, 2015. REUTERS/Suzanne Plunkett

On Friday, terrorist attacks in Paris killed at least 129 people and wounded 352. 

The attacks occurred at the Stade de France, Bataclan concert hall and five restaurants and bars, all lively areas for young Parisians and tourists on a Friday night, according to the New York Times.

The first explosion occurred outside the Stade de France, interrupting a crowded soccer match at 9:20 p.m. French President Francois Hollande was in the stadium, but he was safely evacuated, according to the New York Times. Four people were killed and 10 minutes later, a second explosion occurred.

At 9:25 p.m., masked terrorists armed with Kalashnikov-style assault rifles killed 15 people and wounded 10 others at two restaurants — Le Carillon and Le Petit Cambodge. Five people were killed at 9:32 p.m., and eight were seriously wounded in a shooting outside a bar called A La Bonne Bier, according to the New York Times. And at 9:36 p.m., 19 people were killed, and nine were seriously wounded at La Belle Equipe restaurant.

The Bataclan concert hall was hit next during a performance by a U.S. band, Eagles of Death Metal and was the most deadly attack, killing 89 people.

The attackers fired their guns at people lying on the floor. While shooting randomly, they shouted “Allahu akbar,” or "God is (the) greatest," and made a comment about Syria, according to the New York Times. They appeared calm, determined and fired for 10 minutes. Audience members were taken as hostages.

Some survivors found places to hide in the theater. The scene inside the small theater was described as a “blood bath,” according to the New York Times.

The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) claimed responsibility for the attacks, according to The New York Times. The Islamic State group called the attacks “the first of the storm” and mocked France as a “capital of prostitution and obscenity."

Three teams of terrorists coordinated the attacks. Seven terrorists were killed, but the Islamic State group claims another was involved. Police are searching for a possible attacker or accomplices.

In response, Paris declared a state of emergency, closed its borders and is in a state of lock down, according to the article. French President Francois Hollande also declared a time of mourning.

Countries offered their support and honor by lighting up monumental buildings with the French flag's colors, according to the New York Times. In New York, 1 World Trade Center's antenna was lit up red, white and blue, as was the Sydney Opera House in Australia, the Toronto sign in Canada, the Old City wall in Jerusalem and more.

Many global leaders responded immediately by offering their support, sympathy and help. The heads of government of the United States, Belgium, Burundi, Canada, India, Malaysia, Mexico, Russia and Spain, and Pope Francis condemned the attack.

U.S. President Barack Obama called the attack an “outrageous attempt to terrorize innocent civilians."

"This is an attack on all of humanity and the universal values we share," Obama said. "We stand prepared and ready to provide whatever assistance the people of France need to respond.”

Social media played a large role in offering information, support and responses to the attack.

Facebook implemented a safety check tool, which allowed users to mark themselves or their friends as “safe.” Facebook also offered a profile picture frame, which covers a users profile picture with the French flag's colors as a way to encourage global support.

Twitter highlighted top news articles and prayers from celebrities, according to the article. Users also started hashtags to show support and help individuals.

The hashtag, #PorteOuverte (open door) was a way of offering shelter to Parisians. #PrayForParis was a popular international display of support and #RechercheParis was used as a tool to help find information about missing loved ones.

French citizens helped by donating blood, lighting candles and placing flowers at the scenes of the attacks.

Though there has been no sign of direct threat in the United States, the U.S. is staying cautious, according to the New York Times. The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is investigating cases involving the Islamic State group, guards are protecting public buildings and the government has many people under surveillance.

Parisians responded with a range of reactions, including shock, fear, anger and defiance following the attack.

Some attempt to go about their daily activities. Marie-Caroline de Richemont paused her morning run and said she was trying to process the events but not succumb to fear, according to the New York Times.

“We are not at war here. We need to stay confident and hopeful,” she told the New York Times.

Noa Halff