5 Fun ways to ring in the new year at Rutgers

nye

New Year's Eve is a day filled with excitement and anticipation for the beginning of the New Year. If you’re from the East Coast, your New Year’s Eve night probably consists of watching “Dick Clark's New Year's Rocking Eve with Ryan Seacrest,” or one of the many other New Year’s Eve specials airing on about every channel possible. While awaiting for that beautiful, shiny ball drop at midnight, you’re sitting there watching the nationwide tradition take place. You’re probably wishing you were stuck in that noisy cosmopolitan crowd in Time Square. While you may not be able to enjoy the crazy Big Apple festivities, these are some fun and local ways to make your New Year's Eve a little more exciting.

1. Enjoy Fireworks in New Brunswick with Friends 

If you’re feeling bummed about missing out on the hectic rush and noise of the city, go to the Heldrich Hotel, right across from the State Theatre, and enjoy some New Year's fireworks.The loud noise from the fireworks and the crowd watching will give you the same rush of adrenaline and excitement felt by those celebrating in NYC — well, maybe not the exact same — but as close as you will get. Fireworks start at midnight!

2. Throw a Mock Block Party in your Dorm

If you’re stuck at school this New Year’s Eve and are feeling the college budget blues, invite some fellow unlucky neighbors who couldn’t make it home. Play fun games like “Complete Your New Year's Resolution,” where guests are handed cards with incomplete resolutions and have to fill out the rest of the card! If you’re working on a college budget, make it a potluck and tell guests to bring food and refreshments, along with their smiling faces.

3. Plan a New Year's Eve Pajama Party

If you’re laid back and prefer to spend the night in your pajamas with a glass of wine, then this idea is perfect for you! Here is the twist — instead of spending the night alone, invite some friends over for a pajama party! This way you’re able to have a relaxing night and enjoy the company of your loved ones as well. Have some fun with the night and advise your guests to sport their most ridiculous pair of pajamas. The guest with the best pair wins a prize!

4. Have a New Year's Eve scavenger hunt

For those who are looking to make this New Year's Eve fun and adventurous, throwing a mysterious scavenger hunt with friends could be a great way to spend the evening! Start your clues at any one of the Rutgers campuses and end it on the steps of Brower Commons with a prize waiting for the winner. This is a simple, adventure-oriented and inexpensive way to ring in the New Year.

5. Host a Fire Pit New Year's Eve Bash

Yes, this may be the coldest time of year, but if you need a way to warm up, throwing a fire pit get together will be perfect for a freezing New Year's Eve. Play games, make s’mores and create memories that will not be soon forgotten!

Zainab Anwar