Rutgers alumus killed in car crash

front_ravi_facebook
Photo by Facebook |

Ravi Naik, a 23-year-old Rutgers alumnus, was struck by a van carrying at least 13 people on Nov. 28.

Three people, including Rutgers alumnus Ravi Naik, were killed in a fatal vehicle accident on Saturday, Nov. 28. More than a dozen others were injured.

Naik, 23, was struck by a van carrying at least 13 people on Saturday night. Two of the passengers were pronounced dead at the scene. Their names are being withheld until the next of kin can be notified, according to a press release by the New Jersey State Police (NJSP).

While initial reports by the NJSP counted 19 people, the actual number of victims is 17, according to the initial release by the NJSP. These include three fatalities and 12 injured parties.

Five injured victims, including Naik, were transported to Morristown Memorial Center.

Two victims suffered “serious injuries,” but were not in mortal danger. Naik was pronounced dead at the hospital.

Another seven were taken to Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital for non-lethal injuries, according to the release.

Of the remaining three people involved, two were transported to Overlook Medical Center in Summit, New Jersey, and the last did not seek medical attention, according to the NJSP.

The incident began when Troy Chase, 43, had to pull over to the shoulder on Interstate 287 North to fix the cattle trailer attached to his truck. His vehicle was hit by Naik’s car, and the alumnus exited his vehicle after also pulling over, according to Reuters.

While he was standing on the shoulder, the van bounced off a guardrail to strike both him and the truck, according to Reuters.

The Class of 2015 graduate joined R/GA, an advertising company, after earning a bachelor’s degree in statistics and economics, according to The Star Ledger.

He focused on his relationships, said Dharmin Desai, a childhood friend, to the Star Ledger. These included both familial relations and his friendships.

During New Year’s parties he would perform comedic skits, and put effort into keeping in touch with his friends, Desai said.

At the time of his death, Naik was residing with his family, and had “structured his career” to be able to help his parents, Desai said.

The other victims of the crash included employees at Ling Ling Riverwalk, a restaurant in Basking Ridge, New Jersey.

They will remain closed until Thursday, Dec. 3, according to their website.

Employees at the restaurant are mostly immigrants beloved by the community, said Toni-Ann Ludica, a nearby Gymboree employee, to Eyewitness News.

Nikhilesh De