Rutgers begins its 250th anniversary celebrations

250_darrenn
Photo by Yangeng Lin |

Originally a small private college named Queen’s College established in 1766, Rutgers eventually became a comprehensive public institution of higher education, said University President Robert L. Barchi.

Rutgers kicked off its celebration on Nov. 10 with a Scarlet Knight mounted on horseback and people decked in revolutionary garb. 

The celebration of Rutgers 250 started with the unveiling of Rutgers’ birthday gift, a monument of giant block letters spelling out “RevolUtionary.” Johnson & Johnson, who provided the monument, also pledged up to $50,000 in student scholarship in health care-related fields.

Johnson & Johnson’s donation will help Rutgers student complete their degrees and pursue careers in health care that will enable them to serve the public for years to come. The gift comes on top of decades of support from Johnson & Johnson for programs and initiatives that support members of the Rutgers community, Barchi said. 

Photo: Yangeng Lin

An 11-minute short film, "Our Revolutionary Spirit," was shown after the unveiling. The film aimed to capture the spirit of the University by highlighting inspirational people in Rutgers’ history using the voices of contemporary students, faculty and alumni.

The New Brunswick campus did not celebrate on its own — both the Newark and Camden campuses celebrated Rutgers 250 on Nov. 17.

The 250th celebration is important because it acknowledges what has been accomplished in the past quarter of a millennium, said Rutgers—New Brunswick Chancellor Richard L. Edwards. Rutgers should be celebrated for its achievements.

“I think he would be impressed that the bell and $5,000 bond he donated to the University nearly 200 years ago led to the incredible institution that we have today — an institution that is a core member of the most prestigious and selective academic and athletics associations in the country,” Edwards said.

Christine Lee