Administrator discusses Rutgers' snow cleanup efforts

frontunik
Photo by Nikhilesh De |

Winter Storm Jonas saw an average wind speed of 30 miles per hour, with gusts up to 45 miles, said Dianne Gravatt, assistant vice president of Operations at University Facilities and Capital Planning.

And New Brunswick received nearly 27 inches of snow, according to NJ.com.

“Our custodial staff, grounds staff (and) utilities staff began work at 1 a.m. Saturday through the storm (to) keep up with the snowfall,” she said. “Some staff remained on duty all night Sunday … this (morning) our staff returned at 5 a.m. and continued our efforts.”

Cleanup efforts will continue through the week, she said in an email. All commuter lots have been plowed to their extent, with the back of the Yellow Lot on Livingston campus remaining unplowed until Monday evening.

This section of the lot is usually where visiting athletics teams park, she said. Because there were not any sporting events planned for Monday, the lots were not initially plowed.

Sidewalks were repeatedly plowed throughout Monday, Gravatt said. Several walkways were again covered in snow after plows came down roads to clear them, pushing material onto the sidewalks.

Ice melting products with calcium and magnesium will be used to melt snow and ice every morning, and the same products were used before the storm began, she said. Their tan color means they are difficult to see.

Unlike rock salt, these products melt snow at a lower temperature and are less harmful to the environment, she said.

While University roads and walkways will continue to be plowed over the next several days, many of the roads off the College Avenue campus are the responsibility of New Brunswick or Middlesex County, she said.

“Once everything (was) plowed we began to remove snow piles with backhoes and dump trucks,” she said. “You will see these activities on all campuses as we will continue this process daily during daylight hours until we have removed the bulk of these snow piles."

Nikhilesh De