Clashing views advance discussions, voice them

Commentary

For the next 10 months we are going to see advertisements, statements, accusations, hopes and other various comments by the candidates to become the next president of the United States. We have 10 months to decide who we want to lead our country between Jan. 20, 2017, and Jan. 20, 2021.

This is an important election. Every candidate has their credentials to uphold, their agendas to push. We should take them seriously and vote appropriately.

We should also take the other side seriously. There is a tendency for people to ignore candidates or positions that clash with their own views. As President Barack Obama said during his last State of the Union address, there is a deep political divide in America. It’s understandable — some people will disagree on certain issues regardless of what they may be shown or told. But that does not make their opposition’s views any less valid. It should be okay to disagree.

I want to say that applies to the Rutgers community and us here at The Daily Targum.

I’m training to become the news editor of the Targum. I hope to see articles written about the political issues that Rutgers students should be aware of in the upcoming months. What I promise readers of the paper is that we will never take a side in our news articles. We will not praise a candidate, nor degrade another. We will remain a neutral party when writing about political or otherwise divisive issues. Our news team is more than capable of doing this.

That being said, we’re only Rutgers students. We’re also human. Sometimes our readers disagree with what we print, and they let us know via comments on our website or messages on Facebook. Last year we were accused of being too far-left a few days before we were accused of being too far-right. We’re not infallible, though sometimes I like to pretend that we are.

What I want our readers to know is we are a student-run paper, and we are open to all. If you disagree with what we are publishing, you can come to 204 Neilson St. and join us as a writer. We’ll be happy to have you aboard, regardless of your political affiliation or views. If you don’t have the time to be a writer with the paper, that’s fine. You can email me at news@dailytargum.com. Tell me if you disagree with what we say, your voice will heard. Make the Rutgers community aware of your viewpoints by submitting  a letter to the opinions editor at oped@dailytargum.com. We had many productive discussions between disagreeing parties last year in the paper, and I’m sure we will again this year.

I’m asking you to trust us at the Targum, and if you think we’re pushing the line, I’m inviting you to push back. There’s still 10 months to go in this election cycle. I hope to read and write about the issues we’ll see this year. I'm sure there will be disagreement about something we write, and when that happens, I look forward to hearing from you. Happy new year everyone, let’s make it a good one.

Nikhilesh De is a School of Engineering junior majoring in information technology in applied sciences engineering. He is a staff writer for The Daily Targum.

_____

Nikhilesh De