Rutgers student charged with 'death by auto' after hitting 2 pedestrians

Shang Zhen Huang, a School of Arts and Sciences junior, is being charged with “death by auto,” according to a press release by the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office (MCPO).

He was originally charged with two counts of aggravated assault for the incident.

Death by auto is a criminal charge punishable by 10 years in prison and a $200,000 fine, according to findlaw.com. Aggravated assault is a felony, meaning a conviction punishable by a fine or prison sentence.

Huang was arrested for hitting two pedestrians with his car after it jumped a curb over the weekend. One of the victims, Chaim Kraus, 6, was killed in the incident. His mother, who has not been identified, was hospitalized and remains in critical condition.

The driver was briefly hospitalized for minor injuries before being remanded into custody by Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital.

The crash occurred on Jan. 16 in the afternoon in Highland Park, when Huang’s car hit a sidewalk where the two victims were walking.

While the investigation continues, Huang is being held by the Highland Park Police Department (HPPD), with bail set at $200,000.

The investigating agencies request people with information to call either MCPO Detective Heck at 732-745-3300 or HPPD Officer Curbelo at 732-572-3800, according to the statement.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with the Kraus family and all of the members of the community who are grieving this terrible tragedy,” said University spokesman Greg Trevor in a statement.

Nikhilesh De