WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts | Jan. 22, 2016

laurels_and_darts

RARITAN REDEVELOPMENT

The Raritan River is a landmark icon to the University, so it's only appropriate that it should be taken care of. The Endowed Johnson Family Chair for Water Resources and Watershed Ecology was recently created to restore the Raritan River to its optimum quality while also furthering students' education about environmental issues. We laurel the newly appointed endowed chair Robert Goodman for the work he will conduct with the Sustainable Raritan Initiative.

TECHNOLOGICAL INEFFICIENCIES

A study by Marc Pfeiffer at the Bloustein Local Government Center found that most local governments use computers vulnerable to technological risk. Ways to overcome these risks include technological proficiency, technology plans and awareness of these risks. We dart the lack of funding for these local governments. Having updated technology would have prevented these problems from arising in the first place.

RUNNING TO THE MONEY

Last year, Rutgers—Camden disclosed their financial aid program that waives tuition for students whose household income is less than $60,000. This year, Rutgers—Newark rolls out a similar plan that will cover tuition and fees for accepted students. We laurel "RU—N to the TOP," a major financial aid initiative, and Rutgers—Newark for their help with providing high-quality education to low-income students who would otherwise unnecessarily struggle to achieve it.

LONG-AWAITED RENOVATIONS

The University's three campuses are undergoing major change in their infrastructure. The Board of Governors approved eight renovations to restore and upgrade buildings for the Rutgers—New Brunswick, Newark and Camden campuses. While these renovations are great, they are are the first set of renovations since the 1960s. We dart the University for waiting so long to fix up these very, very old buildings.

STEINEM AND SCHOLARSHIP

Rutgers is globally acclaimed for having one of the strongest women's and gender studies departments and producing hard-hitting feminist scholarship. To add to its repertoire, the Gloria Steinem Endowed Chair in Media, Culture and Feminist Studies just passed its $2 million mark after a year and a half of fundraising. We laurel the achievement and collaboration between the Institute for Women's Leadership and the School of Communication and Information for enabling the University to have a permanent focus on a set of academic concerns.

ACADEMIC INACCURACIES

Rutgers pays the Academic Analytics, LLC, database $492,500 their services over four years. David Hughes of the Department of Anthropology and president of the Rutgers University faculty union, among several other professors, distrust the program for its inaccuracies and its contribution to creating an audit culture in academia. We dart Academic Analytics, LLC, for reducing professional performance to quantifiable variables and rankings.

___