Acting attorney general to be new general counsel

University President Robert L. Barchi has named John J. Hoffman the University’s senior vice president and general counsel.

Hoffman, New Jersey’s acting attorney general, has worked in government for about 20 years, according to a press release.

“I am deeply impressed by John’s intelligence and legal acumen, the wide range of statutory and regulatory issues he has handled and his record of excellence in state and federal service,” Barchi said in the release. “I am eager to bring his leadership and expertise to Rutgers.”

During his tenure as acting attorney general, Hoffman spearheaded a campaign to outfit police officers with body cameras and started the Narcan Program, which has reversed nearly 3,000 opiate overdoses, according to the press release.

Hoffman will begin working at the University on March 14.

“I am thrilled to be joining this iconic institution that has, for centuries, trained our leaders of tomorrow,” Hoffman said. “I strongly believe in Rutgers’ ever-expanding mission, as well as the dynamic leadership role that it plays within the state, and I look forward to joining President Barchi and his exceptional team.”

___

Nikita Biryukov is a School of Arts and Sciences junior majoring in journalism and media studies. He is an associate news editor for The Daily Targum. Follow him on Twitter @NikitaBiryukov_ for more.

Nikita Biryukov