LETTER: Student protestors don't care about exchange of ideas

bart_greene

I graduated from Rutgers in 1967. I am writing to comment about what happened at Milo Yiannopoulos’s recent speech.

My first draft of this letter referred to what I learned about constitutional law, and specifically about freedom of speech, from Dr. Stanley Friedelbaum at Rutgers. But I realized that that would be pointless. The students who disrupted the event, who smeared themselves with fake blood and left their spillage to be cleaned up by others, care nothing about freedom of speech. They care nothing about the exchange of ideas that should be the heart of the academic experience.

They believe that they, even if not admitted on the basis of academic merit, deserve to be at Rutgers, and that Rutgers has an obligation to protect them from the uncomfortable ideas they view as “microaggressions.” And I suppose that Rutgers will oblige them. I would be delighted to have the University prove me wrong by expelling or otherwise disciplining those who decorated themselves with fake blood and shouted down Milo Yiannopoulos.

Bart Greene is a Rutgers College Class of 1967 alumnus.

_____

Bart Greene